Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello. This is the first time I see such a thing. And I don’t know what does encrypted DNS traffic means

Well I got a privacy warning about the wireless of my house that says blocked DNS traffic and I don’t know what it means?

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 7:53 AM

Dynamic Name System is how every device on the internet converts website names into an IP address.

Encrypted DNS encrypts the request so that only your device and the server supplying the IP address can read it.

This means your internet provider, advertisers, etc can't gather this information.

It is a relatively new way of doing DNS and it's possible your router or internet provider doesn't support it.

Contact the manufacturer of your router to see if it is supported and how to configure your router.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 7:53 AM in response to Community User

Dynamic Name System is how every device on the internet converts website names into an IP address.

Encrypted DNS encrypts the request so that only your device and the server supplying the IP address can read it.

This means your internet provider, advertisers, etc can't gather this information.

It is a relatively new way of doing DNS and it's possible your router or internet provider doesn't support it.

Contact the manufacturer of your router to see if it is supported and how to configure your router.

Hello. This is the first time I see such a thing. And I don’t know what does encrypted DNS traffic means

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.