Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Time Machine backup disk is disappeared

Hello, seems like my luck with external drives is bad :)

I have been using "Seagate Backup Plus For Mac Portable Drive" as a backup disk for my Mac Pro. Always been connected via USB and laying behind the monitor (so no drops or anything like that could have happened to it). All of a sudden Mac says that couldn't back up and I noticed that the little light is not on anymore. Plugged - unplugged many times, same thing. I hear it and feel it, so that thing is on, but something happened to it. Even Utility Disk won't catch it. Dead drive? Any other way to get into it?

Thanks in advance,

Gio.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 7:59 AM

Sometimes the interface cards go on these enclosures. That leaves the enclosure dead, but the drive may be fine.

However, some of these enclosures are built with a drive that has the interface card integrated onto the drive controller card (no separate enclosure card). These all-in-one enclosure-drives may not be fine.

You can ADD an additional Time machine backup drive at any time, and Time machine will Start a new stand-alone backup set on it starting today. It then alternates, every-other backup to every-other drive as long as the drives are available.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 7:59 AM in response to giorgiofromorlando

Sometimes the interface cards go on these enclosures. That leaves the enclosure dead, but the drive may be fine.

However, some of these enclosures are built with a drive that has the interface card integrated onto the drive controller card (no separate enclosure card). These all-in-one enclosure-drives may not be fine.

You can ADD an additional Time machine backup drive at any time, and Time machine will Start a new stand-alone backup set on it starting today. It then alternates, every-other backup to every-other drive as long as the drives are available.

My Time Machine backup disk is disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.