Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Left speaker just stopped working.

Left speaker on Mac just stopped working. Latest update is Catalina. 10.15.7. Have checked the sound, through systems preferences. Balance is at mid level. Mute button is not checked. Any help, would be appreciated! Thank You!

iMac Pro

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 9:45 PM

No1TB Said:

"Left speaker just stopped working.: Left speaker on Mac just stopped working. Latest update is Catalina. 10.15.7. Have checked the sound, through systems preferences. Balance is at mid level. Mute button is not checked. Any help, would be appreciated! Thank You!"

-------

Refer to the link provided atop this post.

Try an Earpiece:

Have any headsets? If so, try them out, seeing if you get the volume in both ears. If not, then it is a hardware issue, and it is time for a new Mac speaker.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 9:45 PM in response to No1TB

No1TB Said:

"Left speaker just stopped working.: Left speaker on Mac just stopped working. Latest update is Catalina. 10.15.7. Have checked the sound, through systems preferences. Balance is at mid level. Mute button is not checked. Any help, would be appreciated! Thank You!"

-------

Refer to the link provided atop this post.

Try an Earpiece:

Have any headsets? If so, try them out, seeing if you get the volume in both ears. If not, then it is a hardware issue, and it is time for a new Mac speaker.

Nov 12, 2021 10:48 PM in response to No1TB

No1TB Said:

"Left speaker just stopped working.: Thank you, TheLittles! I did try a couple of different headsets - same issue. I was dreading it might be a hardware problem. Might be time for a new Mac indeed. Ironic - as I am going to get a new iPhone next week. : ( Thanks Again!"

-------

Getting this Serviced:

You are welcome. How old is your Mac, BTW? You have a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-warranty with it. So, if it is less than a year since the date of purchase (or if it is covered under warranty) then get it serviced by Apple.

Nov 12, 2021 11:22 PM in response to TheLittles

Oh goodness! It didn’t occur to me that it’s eight years old! I’ll have to figure out if it’s worth repairing - the speaker appears to be the only issue - trouble is - it just gave out without a word - no, sputtering or anything. Am now thinking that because it is nearly ten years old - what else is going to suddenly bite the dust!

Nov 13, 2021 3:36 PM in response to No1TB

No1TB Said:

"Left speaker just stopped working.: Oh goodness! It didn’t occur to me that it’s eight years old! I’ll have to figure out if it’s worth repairing - the speaker appears to be the only issue - trouble is - it just gave out without a word - no, sputtering or anything. Am now thinking that because it is nearly ten years old - what else is going to suddenly bite the dust!"

-------

Consider Upgrading:

Being old, and soon-to-become obsolete, I recommend you consider upgrading to a more recent model.

Left speaker just stopped working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.