Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I batch rename photos?

How do I batch rename photos ?

Years ago I remember I could arrange a group in an album, in a particular order, and then rename them in that order so I could rearrange them in that order later.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 7:39 AM

Did you do that in iPhoto or Aperture?

Most of the nice batch renaming features from iPhoto are missing in Photos.

However, you can batch rename the images in an album after arranging them to your liking and exporting image files using a file renaming preset. Photos allows you to use the album name with a running number as the new filename or or a prefix with a running number.

• Arrange the photos in your album
  • Select all with ⌘A
  • Then use the command "File > Export > Export ... photos" and select a very high image quality and the original size.
  • Set the filename to a name with a sequential number, for example:

Then delete the original versions from Photos and reimport the renamed versions.

I would make a backup of your library before any renaming and deleting.It is very easy to make mistakes.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2021 7:39 AM in response to al from pismo

Did you do that in iPhoto or Aperture?

Most of the nice batch renaming features from iPhoto are missing in Photos.

However, you can batch rename the images in an album after arranging them to your liking and exporting image files using a file renaming preset. Photos allows you to use the album name with a running number as the new filename or or a prefix with a running number.

• Arrange the photos in your album
  • Select all with ⌘A
  • Then use the command "File > Export > Export ... photos" and select a very high image quality and the original size.
  • Set the filename to a name with a sequential number, for example:

Then delete the original versions from Photos and reimport the renamed versions.

I would make a backup of your library before any renaming and deleting.It is very easy to make mistakes.

How do I batch rename photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.