You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get rid of MDM/DEP after restoring an iCloud backup

So I have bought my device from my employer. It was managed using MDM with DEP. The company has released the MDM but for some reason the device still appears as supervised and managed by my organization.

I have erased and deleted all data, factory reset and everything for several times but the supervision persists once i recover from iCloud backup.

With what I understand, the backup contains that information that returns the device to be supervised. How can I get rid of it without giving up on the backup? I'd like to keep most of my backup intact.

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 5:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 8:59 AM

Thanks! I have already decided to set up the device as new and it solved the issue. I just had to reinstall all the apps and login here and there, but all my data was intact and recovered successfully app by app.

Similar questions

2 replies

Nov 15, 2021 6:21 AM in response to mati-o

This is expected behavior. MDM profiles are embedded into the backup for security of corporate data. You will need to wipe the device and set it up as a new device.

What your org should have done is remove from Apple Business Manager, unmanage the device in MDM, remove the device from MDM, then tell you to make another backup. At that point, your device would be clear. Since everything was removed before the backup was made, you are unfortunately out of luck.

Cannot get rid of MDM/DEP after restoring an iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.