Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error question

What does it mean "Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory" when I connect MacBook Air to my iMac?

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 12:20 PM

Ok, the issue may be the type of cable you are using to transfer the data. As you are already aware, your MBA has Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports. The iMac, on the other hand, has both USB-A and Thunderbolt 2 ports.

I am assuming that you are attempting to do this transfer using Apple's Target Disk Mode ... correct? If so, double-check the steps in the following support article to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Ref: Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2021 12:20 PM in response to Wiggs07

Ok, the issue may be the type of cable you are using to transfer the data. As you are already aware, your MBA has Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports. The iMac, on the other hand, has both USB-A and Thunderbolt 2 ports.

I am assuming that you are attempting to do this transfer using Apple's Target Disk Mode ... correct? If so, double-check the steps in the following support article to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Ref: Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

Error question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.