Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

am confused between my Apple ID and my password for iMac

am confused between my Apple ID and my password for iMac. It seems they are different. apple id is 8 characters and sign-in

for iMac is 6 characters.

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 2:12 PM

You are welcome. See if you can recover the ID/password. Use every email address you can think of.

Apple ID - How to find your Apple  -  An iCloud e-mail address is an Apple ID.

Apple ID - Find  -       

If you forgot the Apple ID (iCloud) password, enter the Apple (iCloud) ID, and click Forgot Password. See if you can get a Rescue or Notification email option if necessary. Link to contact Apple Support at the end of the 2nd article.

Apple ID - Manage  -     

Apple ID – Forgot Password  *      

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2021 2:12 PM in response to ecm24

You are welcome. See if you can recover the ID/password. Use every email address you can think of.

Apple ID - How to find your Apple  -  An iCloud e-mail address is an Apple ID.

Apple ID - Find  -       

If you forgot the Apple ID (iCloud) password, enter the Apple (iCloud) ID, and click Forgot Password. See if you can get a Rescue or Notification email option if necessary. Link to contact Apple Support at the end of the 2nd article.

Apple ID - Manage  -     

Apple ID – Forgot Password  *      

Nov 14, 2021 1:37 PM in response to Eric Root

yes, I understand they are supposed to be different? 8 A/N for the Apple ID...for sign in to my iMac 6 letters are fine.. Where it is getting strange is I can sign in to iCloud with my computer password.... which should be the same as for apple ID.

So I try to change the appleID password....and it does not like either my sign in or my iMac or written down password for theApple ID.

so I guess what I have to try is to update the password w/o knowing whar the pfevious apple ID was ...since it does not like what i have. Is that possible ? Or should i simply discard the computer..grin.

Thanks for your help.

am confused between my Apple ID and my password for iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.