Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WindowServer high CPU usage while displaying fullscreen content (after Monterey update)

Hello Apple Support Community,

I use a Macbook Pro 13 2020 i5 16 GB RAM.

Ever since I upgraded to Monterey, I have troubles with WindowServer process using too much CPU power. I have no problem watching videos in normal mode, but when I go fullscreen, after around 1 minute, laptop temperature goes around 80 degree Celsius. Activity Monitor shows WindowServer using ~120% CPU. I get this problem while using Firefox and Microsoft Teams; Safari is so far okay. Weird thing is quitting the program won't do anything, WindowServer continues to use CPU around 100%.

Is there anything I can do besides doing a clean re-install of OS?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 1:19 PM

Similar questions

18 replies

Dec 23, 2021 7:57 AM in response to RadiationX

I'm also observing a 100% of one CPU using WindowServer process, this is also along with a much higher RAM usage by itself (3GB and more instead of just around 600mb). Killing the WindowServer is helping temporary, until i reboot the machine. This behaviour came with OS 12.1. Older 12.X had other stressfull bugs but not this one.

System: 16" M1Max/64GB, OS 12.1

Dec 20, 2021 11:10 PM in response to lllaass

Obviously you're right, but that's not the problem.

The problem is that windowserver starts consuming 100-120% cpu constantly after a while.

For several days I used only 60hz - everything is ok in all browsers, there were no problems with windowserver.

When you turn on 120hz, after a while problems with windowserver begin. Definitely 120hz is causing some kind of problem.

And it seems due to the fact that in safari rendering only at 60fps, then there are no problems with the windowserver.

Perhaps a useful tip for those who have the same problem - turn on 60hz on all monitors. Perhaps this will help.

Jan 27, 2022 4:58 PM in response to Fontaineboy

I posted this in a similar thread about WindowServer (here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253581701 )

I just want to say that I have this problem too. A month ago I decided to update my 2018 MacbookPro to Monterey from Mojave. I 100% regret my decision. My computer feels almost unusable at this point.

I have two external displays, which were working with no problems prior to updating. Now my CPU spikes through the roof when they are connected and I move my mouse around. My webcam video is very choppy during meetings because of the overall high CPU usage.

Other threads have mentioned that this happens when having a mouse plugged in via USB. I ditched my USB mouse and am now using Bluetooth, but the problem remains.

Other threads have mentioned that gaming mice that are polling at a higher rate can cause issues. I have dropped my mouse polling rate to be 120Hz (or maybe 125Hz? I forget..) and this has still not resolved my problem.

My external displays WERE both using HDMI connections just fine when I was running Mojave. However other threads have suggested to try and mitigate this problem with only a single HDMI connection. I am now using a USC-C to DisplayPort for one monitor, and USB-C to HDMI for the second monitor and I still have high CPU use from WindowServer.

I have disconnected one of my external displays and the problem remains even when I'm powering a single display.

I have reset my SMC and the problem still remains.

I'm really disappointed, because this WindowServer CPU issue seems to have been documented back in Big Sur which came out in 2020. Here we are a full OS revision after that, and 2 years later, and this is still a problem. I'm not really sure if I can downgrade back to Mojave, but I think that's my only option.

Dec 26, 2021 12:54 PM in response to Fontaineboy

Quick workaround: To avoid having to reboot when in this state, go to System Preferences->Displays and disable/enable ProMotion. CPU usage instantly drops to normal levels. To keep the issue from reappearing, disable Promotion permanently (e.g. fix refresh rate to 60Hz).

To reproduce, just enable ProMotion and watch e.g. YouTube fullscreen for ~1 minute or so.

WindowServer will now keep using > 100% CPU, even after closing all apps, or even logout/login. Only reboot (Or WindowServer kill) helps.

(Confirmed on Monterey on MacBook Pro 16" M1)

Jan 24, 2022 12:07 AM in response to musca999

Same issue is happening with me since yesterday. When I opened activity monitor, it displays WindowServer using memory 1.03GB. and all other tasks like kernel_task and google chrome helper, all are using high memory.

And in CPU section kernel_task using 740% CPU..

Its sooo slow and annoying.

Last week I updated to 12.1. Can anyone please suggest me something to resolve this issue.? I have already done restart and shut down.

Jan 31, 2022 2:05 AM in response to Fontaineboy

The same problem — MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020) 16Gb.

After installation of macOS Monterey I have the same problem — WindowServer use a lot of CPU and RAM. I found that the problem appear after full screen mode only on laptop screen. I tried solve this by reset SMC and NVRAM and all others advices — did not work.

Yesterday I found solution — go to System Preferences / Dock & Menu bar / Menu bar section has two checkboxes: "Automatically hide and show the menu bar on desktop" and "Automatically hide and show the menu bar in full screen" just switch off these checkboxes and WindowServer starting to use normal level of CPU and RAM. At least in my case it worked.

WindowServer high CPU usage while displaying fullscreen content (after Monterey update)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.