Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad with or without cellular

I'm looking into getting an ipad and I noticed there's a difference between an ipad with wifi and one with wifi and cellular. From what I've looked at already it looks like if there's no wifi network it wont work but if you get one with cellular then you can use the cellular data like a phone but my question is if I already have a phone with a hotspot would I be able to connect the ipad to that if it just has wifi or would I have to get the one with the cellular anyway? If so would I have to pay for that separately or would I be able to go in and easily connect the ipad to my regular phone plan?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 11:34 AM

In purchasing a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, you are not committing yourself to needing a Cellular Carrier plan - but are preserving the opportunity and flexibility of doing so at a later time.

Also be aware the only WiFi+Cellular models have GPS location functions. WiFi Only models do not have any built-in GPS capabilities.  The potential need for GPS is one of the many reasons that some users choose a WiFi+Cellular model - even if having no need or intention of using Cellular.

Regardless of your choice of either WiFi Only or WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, you can use your mobile phone’s hotspot - if your phone cellular plan supports “tethering”. This feature may be a chargeable extra - or be “capped” in usable data for a billing period.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2021 11:34 AM in response to mariangw02

In purchasing a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, you are not committing yourself to needing a Cellular Carrier plan - but are preserving the opportunity and flexibility of doing so at a later time.

Also be aware the only WiFi+Cellular models have GPS location functions. WiFi Only models do not have any built-in GPS capabilities.  The potential need for GPS is one of the many reasons that some users choose a WiFi+Cellular model - even if having no need or intention of using Cellular.

Regardless of your choice of either WiFi Only or WiFi+Cellular model of iPad, you can use your mobile phone’s hotspot - if your phone cellular plan supports “tethering”. This feature may be a chargeable extra - or be “capped” in usable data for a billing period.

ipad with or without cellular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.