Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot enter log-in password after upgrade to Monterey 12.0.1 of my MacBookPro 2015 laptop

An upgrade to Monterey 12.0.1 of my MacBookPro 2015 laptop bricked it - after a reboot, the log-in screen shows up fine, but I cannot enter the password, as if the (built-in) keyboard is not working. But clicking on the mouse pad works and I can power-down/reboot/put to sleep the laptop by clicking the icons. Further, the actually keyboard works, this is entirely a software problem (more on why I think so - later).

Here is what DOES NOT FIX the problem:

1. Using external USB or Bluetooth keyboard.
  2. Restarting in "Safe boot" mode - rebooting while pressing Shift key . I see the "Safe boot" text at the top right corner of the screen when ready , but the password text box is still unresponsive.
  3. Re-setting NVRAM/PRAM - while holding Command +Option+P+R. I waited the for the boot signal to sound off 5 times just to be safe, but when the laptop comes back, the password box is still unusable.
  4. SMC reset - Held ****+Option+Control and Power for at least 10s, while the laptop was off, then re-started with Power button. No effect, not even sure if this reset worked.
  5. Booted in Recovery mode - pressing Command+R while booting. So, in recovery mode I can open up a terminal and keyboard works just fine! I can also use Safari to browse Apple support or any other site, which convinced me that there is nothing wrong with the keyboard even more. There is nothing wrong with the disk either - running First Aid from the Disk utility uncovered nothing. The only other option could use is install MacOs Monterey again. I did this twice! When the laptop reboots, the issue is still there.

At this point I am convinced something is wrong with Monterey and that it bricked my MAcBookPro 2015 laptop... I have another similar laptop, now too afraid to update it.

Hint: My gut feeling is that because this laptop had a bluetooth keyboard when I did the upgrade, something went very wrong. If I turn the bluetooth keyboard , I see the laptop recognizes it, but the password box is unusable still.

Any help will be appreciated!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 1:02 PM

Apple support did an awesome job helping me out here! It turned out to be a software issue, a stale file after the Monterey upgrade, I had to remove. Basically:

1. Go to recovery mode (see my step 5)
  2. Once in, launch Terminal app from the Utilities drop-down menu (top left)
  3. In the terminal launch this command (removes the stale file):
rm "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/.AppleSetupDone"
hristo258 wrote:

An upgrade to Monterey 12.0.1 of my MacBookPro 2015 laptop bricked it - after a reboot, the log-in screen shows up fine, but I cannot enter the password, as if the (built-in) keyboard is not working. But clicking on the mouse pad works and I can power-down/reboot/put to sleep the laptop by clicking the icons. Further, the actually keyboard works, this is entirely a software problem (more on why I think so - later).

Here is what DOES NOT FIX 1. the problem:

Using external USB or Bluetooth keyboard.
Restarting in "Safe boot" mode - rebooting while pressing Shift1. key . I see the "Safe boot" text at the top right corner of the screen when ready , but the password text box is still unresponsive.
Re-setting NVRAM/PRAM - while holding Command +Option+P+R1. . I waited the for the boot signal to sound off 5 times just to be safe, but when the laptop comes back, the password box is still unusable.
SMC reset - Held ****+Option+Control and Power 1. for at least 10s, while the laptop was off, then re-started with Power button. No effect, not even sure if this reset worked.
Booted in Recovery mode - pressing Command+R while booting. So, in recovery mode I can open up a terminal and keyboard works just fine! I can also use Safari to browse Apple support or any other site, which convinced me that there is nothing wrong with the keyboard1. even more. There is nothing wrong with the disk either - running First Aid from the Disk utility uncovered nothing. The only other option could use is install MacOs Monterey again. I did this twice! When the laptop reboots, the issue is still there.

At this point I am convinced something is wrong with Monterey and that it bricked my MAcBookPro 2015 laptop... I have another similar laptop, now too afraid to update it.

Hint: My gut feeling is that because this laptop had a bluetooth keyboard when I did the upgrade, something went very wrong. If I turn the bluetooth keyboard , I see the laptop recognizes it, but the password box is unusable still.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2021 1:02 PM in response to hristo258

Apple support did an awesome job helping me out here! It turned out to be a software issue, a stale file after the Monterey upgrade, I had to remove. Basically:

1. Go to recovery mode (see my step 5)
  2. Once in, launch Terminal app from the Utilities drop-down menu (top left)
  3. In the terminal launch this command (removes the stale file):
rm "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/.AppleSetupDone"
hristo258 wrote:

Restarting in "Safe boot" mode - rebooting while pressing Shift1. key . I see the "Safe boot" text at the top right corner of the screen when ready , but the password text box is still unresponsive.
Re-setting NVRAM/PRAM - while holding Command +Option+P+R1. . I waited the for the boot signal to sound off 5 times just to be safe, but when the laptop comes back, the password box is still unusable.
SMC reset - Held ****+Option+Control and Power 1. for at least 10s, while the laptop was off, then re-started with Power button. No effect, not even sure if this reset worked.
Booted in Recovery mode - pressing Command+R while booting. So, in recovery mode I can open up a terminal and keyboard works just fine! I can also use Safari to browse Apple support or any other site, which convinced me that there is nothing wrong with the keyboard1. even more. There is nothing wrong with the disk either - running First Aid from the Disk utility uncovered nothing. The only other option could use is install MacOs Monterey again. I did this twice! When the laptop reboots, the issue is still there.

Nov 15, 2021 11:30 AM in response to hristo258

hristo258 wrote:

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Cannot enter log-in password after upgrade to Monterey 12.0.1 of my MacBookPro 2015 laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.