Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off the closed captioning? Every new episode/movie closed captioning turns back on and I have to turn it off. How do I change the default?

And b4 you say go to subtitles and captioning in Accessibility you are wrong because all you can do there is edit the style of how i see the closed cations

FireTVStick4K(2018)/Soundbar(2019),

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 6:00 PM

4 replies

Nov 18, 2021 5:34 PM in response to FoxFifth

Unfortunately while you are answering with what should work, many of us here in the Apple support community and several Reddit threads have found that in the past few days/weeks the swipe down is NOT working anymore. I am one of those people. No matter how many times I turn the subtitle off within an app by swiping down, trying System Preferences to change Subtitles to Auto or Off, and making sure closed captioning in Accessibility is turned off they KEEP COMING BACK ON. Sometimes it happens when starting the next episode in a series, sometimes it is randomly right in the middle of a show. Restarts don't help and IME usually trying Sleep guarantees that the subtitles will come back on the next time it wakes up. This is happening across many apps; Apple TV, HBO, Showtime, Netflix… you get the picture. This is a bug.

Nov 26, 2021 5:03 AM in response to FoxFifth

I started having the same issue but only with HBO Max app. While in an episode I swipe down and select Subtitles, Off. The next episode starts and subtitles are ON again. And if the next ep has a trailer and you turn subtitles off during trailer, they come on again when ep starts.

I went to Apple support and answered a few questions and the the final solution was to find an authorized service center!!

This issue is so annoying!!!! Apple needs to do something!!!

How do I turn off the closed captioning? Every new episode/movie closed captioning turns back on and I have to turn it off. How do I change the default?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.