Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My external display doesn't connect anymore. Detect monitors button won't show up.

On my Macbook pro (2019 Monterey) - The external display stopped being recognized. I've restarted several times, cleared PRAM, the Option key doesn't show the Gather Monitors anymore. Any other suggestions?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 7:52 AM

You need to provide more information. Does the monitor work with another device. Which monitor is it? How do you connect, HDMI, DisplayPort, USB-C, Thunderbolt, etc? When did this start...when you updated to Monterey? Do you have another cable you can try?

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 16, 2021 8:19 AM in response to BenC-AO

I've got it working now. But notes as to what the issue was...

Yes - the monitor worked with another device. The external monitor was a Niuto portable display. It WAS being connected from USB-c to a multiport replicator (Satechi), then USB-C to USB-C for the Power, and then HDMI to HDMI-Mini. I tested with another Macbook pro, with out the port replicator, and it worked. I then went back to the original macbook pro and direct connected with two cables (USB-C for power, and USB-C to HDMI to HDMI-Mini) - and the original machine recognized the display this time. Pretty sure the issue was the Satechi port replicator.

My external display doesn't connect anymore. Detect monitors button won't show up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.