Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing default mail app

it looks like this is only possible through the Mail app, and only after the Mail app is configured.

Why should I configure the Mail app if all I want is to make another app the default mail app?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 10:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 12:55 AM

Because that is how Apple has it setup unless the alternate email app has a preference for setting it as a default app.

Here is what Apple says ( I added the Bold) in:

Change the default web browser or email app on your Mac - Apple Support

How to change your default email app

1. Make sure that the other email app is installed. Although you might be able to use a web browser for email (webmail), a web browser isn't an email app.
  2. Open the Mail app.
  3. Choose Mail > Preferences, then click General.
  4. Choose an email app from the ”Default email reader” menu.

You might be prompted to add an email account before you can change the setting in Mail. If you don't want to do that, check the preferences of the other email app. You might be able to set a default email app from there.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2021 12:55 AM in response to GunSlinger77

Because that is how Apple has it setup unless the alternate email app has a preference for setting it as a default app.

Here is what Apple says ( I added the Bold) in:

Change the default web browser or email app on your Mac - Apple Support

How to change your default email app

1. Make sure that the other email app is installed. Although you might be able to use a web browser for email (webmail), a web browser isn't an email app.
  2. Open the Mail app.
  3. Choose Mail > Preferences, then click General.
  4. Choose an email app from the ”Default email reader” menu.

You might be prompted to add an email account before you can change the setting in Mail. If you don't want to do that, check the preferences of the other email app. You might be able to set a default email app from there.

Changing default mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.