You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

State Farm "Drive Safe and Save"

My wife is using an app called "Drive Safe and Save" which is provided by State Farm Insurance. In return for allowing them to track and log your driving, they give us a discount on car insurance premiums. She is using an iPhone 11 with iOS 15.1. It works flawlessly, and has for several years.

I was previously running the same app on my iPhone 11, same results. It was flawless and discounts are fairly sizable.

I am now trying to use iPhone 12 with iOS 15.2 with all the settings on her phone duplicated on mine , as near as I can tell. I have managed to get the app working as it should EXCEPT when my trip starts in my garage. App always has access to specific location, bluetooth, WIFI, cellular data, and is paired to a beacon provided by Sate Farm which remains in the vehicle. The problems arose with the update to iOS 15.

I have spent many frustrating hours trying to resolve this and would appreciate any help you can provide. I have tried to guess my way through all the new features such as Focus, Privacy, etc. and others that are part of iOS 15. All that I get from State Farm is that is my responsibility to report the trips to them or lose the discounts.

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 18, 2021 1:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 1:39 AM

Thinking about your last comment concerning the inability to connect to the beacon, I disabled all other apps' Bluetooth access. Lo and behold, the app recorded the trip from my garage yesterday. Must have been a conflict in access priority.

Only thing left to do, I hope, is add back the other apps access one by one and find the one that was causing the problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 21, 2021 1:39 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thinking about your last comment concerning the inability to connect to the beacon, I disabled all other apps' Bluetooth access. Lo and behold, the app recorded the trip from my garage yesterday. Must have been a conflict in access priority.

Only thing left to do, I hope, is add back the other apps access one by one and find the one that was causing the problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Nov 18, 2021 4:30 PM in response to KansasRedEye

Okay, if that is correct, then it seems that the phone and the beacon are not communicating if you are in the garage. While I do not use the app, it would sound like that is the problem. Did you speak with your agent, State Farm support, or the app support information provided in the App Store? Someone else has had to experienced a similar problem. I will have lunch with my State Farm agent tomorrow and can ask her if she is aware of a problem like this or someone she can talk to and get back to you tomorrow afternoon. FYI, I'm in the Central time zone in the US.

Nov 21, 2021 10:13 AM in response to KansasRedEye

Glad you were able to get it working, if even temporarily. I didn't see my agent at lunch Friday, so I left her a message and she called me back and was going to get her office's person responsible for that program to call me back. She said she had not heard of an issue like that, but would still have the person call me. Well, they didn't, so I expect a call back on Monday.

Given your mention of possible interference, see this support document from Apple and see if that helps with your troubleshooting the other Bluetooth devices. Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Nov 18, 2021 3:35 PM in response to KansasRedEye

No problem, just had to be sure. Have you checked to see if there is an update available for the app? If not, I suggest that you contact the app developer and ensure that it is compatible with the latest iOS update. It is difficult to say, since you are using two different iPhones. You say that your wife's is an an 11 and you have a 12. Is this only one car you are referring to for both of you? I wonder as well as the other poster about it starting in your garage, and then you respond about a working iPhone 12? Does your wife have an iPhone 12 now?

Nov 18, 2021 3:55 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I have deleted and reloaded the app as lately as yesterday. Remember, the app is working fine on the 12 when I am away from home.

Wife is still using iPhone 11.

I am suspicious that there is some setting on the 12 that is added from the 11 that I have been unable to locate. My suspicion is that is related to WiFi or cellular data, or possibly even Bluetooth. We have two cars in the program. Her phone works in either car as it should. I have mine paired only to my car.

State Farm wrote the app and they refuse to do any research. They will not even discuss the communication process between devices in general terms with me.

I am at a loss as to how I should go forward. Thanks for trying to help me.

Nov 18, 2021 4:03 PM in response to KansasRedEye

Have you tried unpairing the beacon with your iPhone and then pairing it again? Did you name your new iPhone with the same name as the iPhone 11 you got rid of?

EDIT: Guess your statement you just added about the beacon negates my question. I really don't see any other issue, except maybe try turning off wi-fi before you leave the house to see if you can start a trip while it is on cellular data while in the garage.

Nov 24, 2021 5:16 AM in response to KansasRedEye

There is a problem with Drive Safe and Save App and ios15. State Farm Drive Safe and Save support confirmed this to me. They told me that they are aware of it, and working on a fix. They told me in the mean time to go to the App settings for Drive Save and Safe and turn off location and turn it back on, and then turn off Blue tooth and turn it back on, then turn the phone off and turn it back on. This has worked for me some times. I did have to call the State Farm support people a number of times to finally get someone who knew what they were talking about. The issue happens on both my SE phone and 13mini.

State Farm "Drive Safe and Save"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.