Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade Macbook Pro for gaming?

2020 Macbook Pro 2.6 Gh Intel Core i7 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB. Can this be upgraded to run games? I do not think it can as the processor and graphics card can not handle that amount of data. Even wehn running, or trying to run, low power and usage games, it heats up dramatically. A sign it can not cope with gaming. But another reason is I want to do some video editing. And people tell me that again MacBooks were not really designed for intensive video editing. Again, Should I just go out an purchase a they can not handle all the data. I am thinking of a Corsair Vengence i7200. Any advice?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 5:41 AM

Hi, I purchased a Corsair Vengence. It is a very powerful machine. I am finally able to have multiple videos on my desktop to switch between instantly. My surgeons also like this, one games and has been told this is a work computer! Even the new Mac's with that M-1 chip can not keep up and also get HOT. Our use is specific, wh have multiple videos on the dessktop of surgery. Then my surgeons will watch how 1 surgeon works then surgeon #2 and then surgeon #3 and so on. That way we can compare how each one performs surgery. And they will go back and forth between them very very quickly. That Corsair will also devour an huge Excel spreadsheet without blinking and it is finished almost instantly also. It looks like apple has not designed their laptops for business. We did investigate the Mac Pro, the tower one. Which you can customize to what ever you want almost. But its price was 3 times the Corsair. I tried to talk them into that purchase as we use Apple devices for charting on our patients. But we use other software for office work. Thank you

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 5:41 AM in response to Rafael Scheid

Hi, I purchased a Corsair Vengence. It is a very powerful machine. I am finally able to have multiple videos on my desktop to switch between instantly. My surgeons also like this, one games and has been told this is a work computer! Even the new Mac's with that M-1 chip can not keep up and also get HOT. Our use is specific, wh have multiple videos on the dessktop of surgery. Then my surgeons will watch how 1 surgeon works then surgeon #2 and then surgeon #3 and so on. That way we can compare how each one performs surgery. And they will go back and forth between them very very quickly. That Corsair will also devour an huge Excel spreadsheet without blinking and it is finished almost instantly also. It looks like apple has not designed their laptops for business. We did investigate the Mac Pro, the tower one. Which you can customize to what ever you want almost. But its price was 3 times the Corsair. I tried to talk them into that purchase as we use Apple devices for charting on our patients. But we use other software for office work. Thank you

Nov 20, 2021 9:12 AM in response to Per Axel

In general, laptops are not intended to game. The ones made for it have a very different thermal design and are usually thick and heavy.

Yours is even less prepared for this since it sports an integrated graphic chip, not powerful enough for heavy graphic tasks.

For video editing it can do a little bit better because of optimizations made by Apple for this kind of job, but it will not pair models with discrete GPUs or the new architecture in Apple Silicon.

The Corsair you mentioned is a desktop gaming PC, totally different situation. Those are tower cases, equipped with high end GPUs and CPUs, powerful cooling systems, etc.

2019 16" MBP Radeon Pro 5500 can run modern AAA games, but not at high or ultra settings.

New MBPs with the M1 Pro and Max chips can offer a performance similar to the desktop PC for work again due to optimization, but AAA gaming still has a long way to go.

Dec 19, 2021 1:27 PM in response to ku4hx

No, I do not think so. My hospitals IT people put Ubuntu or this Linux stuff on it. We only use this to watch video. So Windows may be there. But I can not access it. This tower will not be plugged into the internet. We only needed the power to watch multiple videos at the same time and also to be able to switch between them instantly and pause them when needed. The videos are of surgery on patients and we are watching how different surgeons perform specific tasks. And the only Apple pdevice that could handle this would be a Apple Mac Pro. And that is an expensive purchase.

Can I upgrade Macbook Pro for gaming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.