Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buy direct from Apple or from Apple retailers

I'm trying to decide if I want to take advantage of Black Friday deals from Apple retailers or go with buying directly from Apple. Do MacBook Pros bought from a retailer such as Simply Mac or Amazon come with AppleCare? Or does this have to be bought separately? What are the advantages or disadvantages to buying from Apple rather than an Apple retailer?

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 8:11 AM

Even when purchasing from Apple you have to purchase AppleCare separately.

If you can get discounts with resellers, that's better for you. Some resellers, BestBuy for exemple, also sell AppleCare+, so you can order them together https://www.bestbuy.com/site/services/applecare/pcmcat748300453862.c?id=pcmcat748300453862&intl=nosplash. Don't know if the stores you pointed do the same.

For AppleCare Plan you have 1 year after the purchase to do it. For AppleCare+ you have 60 days. See Buy an AppleCare plan - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2021 8:11 AM in response to BriGuy27

Even when purchasing from Apple you have to purchase AppleCare separately.

If you can get discounts with resellers, that's better for you. Some resellers, BestBuy for exemple, also sell AppleCare+, so you can order them together https://www.bestbuy.com/site/services/applecare/pcmcat748300453862.c?id=pcmcat748300453862&intl=nosplash. Don't know if the stores you pointed do the same.

For AppleCare Plan you have 1 year after the purchase to do it. For AppleCare+ you have 60 days. See Buy an AppleCare plan - Apple Support

Nov 20, 2021 8:25 AM in response to BriGuy27

Be aware that the old Applecare is only available in a couple of regions/countries nowadays; it was replaced by Applecare + in the US and most other countries a few years ago and that you do need to buy within 60 days. If you buy from an authorized reseller, it may be automatically registered with Apple (but that is not 100% necessarily), so do check that it is with Apple.

Nov 20, 2021 8:37 AM in response to BriGuy27

I live far for any Apple Retail store or even resellers that carry Macs. We web-order everything, so I have a choice of Mac sellers yet I always choose Apple Online.

The big advantage in buying directly from Apple is "No issues." We see many reports here of Apple devices bought through resellers that end up having registration or warranty coverage issues. Avoid auction sites.

Buy direct from Apple or from Apple retailers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.