Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music Application Library Issues

Ever since upgrading to Big Sur (from High Sierra), both my Macbook Pro (2018) and new Macbook Air (M1, 2020) refuse to eject the external drive that stores my Music application library, claiming it is in use despite all applications being closed. And more recently, the "Saving Music Library" function has begun to take insufferably long to process after closing the application, oftentimes timing out altogether, after even the slightest modifications to the library. There are additional bugs as well that hinder workflow, though to smaller degrees. I have tried nearly everything I can think of to isolate the issue, and countless consultations with Apple support and Genius Bar have yielded zero solutions.

Actions taken:

• Turned off Spotlight/Indexing
  • Zapped SMC and NVRAM
  • reinstalled OS
  • upgraded OS to latest
  • tried multiple brand new drives, both disk and SSD
  • purchased brand new computer
  • rebuilt library manually, dragging in files and re-importing library xml

Notables:

• the issue has haunted me across multiple (brand new) storage devices and computers
  • problem persists with a pristine erase/OS re-install, with zero added files or applications
  • it occurs with all of my libraries, having no files in common
  • my primary library is large (90,000 songs, hundreds of playlists), though volume is not a widely reported issue, plus my subsidiary libraries are far, far smaller
  • currently running Monterey 12.0.1 on both Macbooks

Suspicions:

• perhaps Carbon Copy Cloner presence is at fault, however the source device exhibits the issue too. (anyone?)
  • I often implement custom artwork (not just stock Apple Store images), perhaps this rubs with OS? (anyone?)

I am apprehensive to continue routine backups, so as to avoid continual inheritance of potential corruption. Music curation is my livelihood, and these issues have brought my work to a standstill. It feels as though the complications are escalating, and I fear more considerable consequences could come to pass. Any help or suggestions welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 10:44 AM

Solutions for anyone afflicted with similar issues:

Simply copying my library (xml, media, and all) to a new location altogether (an alternate drive in my case) seems to have ironed out the arbitrary saving lag issue.

Regarding ejection: the AMPLibraryAgent file is constantly updating, whether Music app is open or not, which is why ejection is blocked. To solve, keep your library file on your device's internal drive proper and your media folder on your external drive, then link library to external media folder via the Music app preferences menu, under Files tab.

Feel free to holler at me if seeking further clarification.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2021 10:44 AM in response to Nicholas_B2

Solutions for anyone afflicted with similar issues:

Simply copying my library (xml, media, and all) to a new location altogether (an alternate drive in my case) seems to have ironed out the arbitrary saving lag issue.

Regarding ejection: the AMPLibraryAgent file is constantly updating, whether Music app is open or not, which is why ejection is blocked. To solve, keep your library file on your device's internal drive proper and your media folder on your external drive, then link library to external media folder via the Music app preferences menu, under Files tab.

Feel free to holler at me if seeking further clarification.

Nov 21, 2021 10:32 AM in response to Pork-Maestro

Hi Pork-Maestro,

We'd like to help you find the best path of resolution. For the issues you are having with trying to eject an external drive and getting a message that the content is in use, we would recommend to check Activity Monitor User Guide to see if there is anything running in the background. If you check this and find nothing, we recommend further testing in safe mode by following Start up your Mac in safe mode. If this continues here you will want to see if this helps: Remove login items to resolve startup problems on your Mac. If no solution or isolation is found, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support. You can use the link below, if needed.

Get Support

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Music Application Library Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.