Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

solution for NTFS issue for macbook m1

What is the best solution to NTFS issue for MacBook M1 on Monterey?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 5:06 AM

gheefromsa wrote:

Creating an NTFS file using my MacBook in an external hard drive such a USB drive used to be possible by installing a software such as Paragon. ....... Is there is straight forward software that does not need fiddling with the security settings?

Yes, don't use the NTFS file system. Instead erase the drive as exFAT if you need to share the drive with a Windows computer. Otherwise erase the drive as MacOS Extended (Journaled) if the drive will only be used with macOS (or as APFS, but APFS is a new file system that tends to become corrupted where First Aid may not be able to repair it which requires erasing the drive again).

Erasing a drive will destroy all data on it, so make sure to temporarily transfer your files to another location while you erase the drive.

FYI, it is always best to let the OS manage the file system on drives. As you have discovered relying on proprietary third party apps to manage a drive can be problematic.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2021 5:06 AM in response to gheefromsa

gheefromsa wrote:

Creating an NTFS file using my MacBook in an external hard drive such a USB drive used to be possible by installing a software such as Paragon. ....... Is there is straight forward software that does not need fiddling with the security settings?

Yes, don't use the NTFS file system. Instead erase the drive as exFAT if you need to share the drive with a Windows computer. Otherwise erase the drive as MacOS Extended (Journaled) if the drive will only be used with macOS (or as APFS, but APFS is a new file system that tends to become corrupted where First Aid may not be able to repair it which requires erasing the drive again).

Erasing a drive will destroy all data on it, so make sure to temporarily transfer your files to another location while you erase the drive.

FYI, it is always best to let the OS manage the file system on drives. As you have discovered relying on proprietary third party apps to manage a drive can be problematic.

Nov 23, 2021 3:08 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Creating an NTFS file using my MacBook in an external hard drive such a USB drive used to be possible by installing a software such as Paragon. I now have an M1 and recently upgraded to Monterey 12.0.1. I haven't reinstalled Paragon. I note that currently I can "read only" older USB external drives. Looking at the internet I note that even installing Paragon, complicated steps are needed to downgrade the security settings in order for the soft ware to work. Is there is straight forward software that does not need fiddling with the security settings?

solution for NTFS issue for macbook m1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.