Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro Max Front Camera Stuck at 7MP

According to the technical specifications of the iPhone 12 Pro Max, the Front Camera is supposed to have a 12MP sensor. When I reviewed the selfies I’ve taken, I noticed under the metadata that the camera was only taking 7MP photos. I checked the camera settings and they are saving in HEIF format. But no matter what setting I use, whether it’s High Efficiency, Most Compatible or even ProRAW, it doesn’t make a difference. I still get photos at the low resolution of 7MP. One of the reasons I upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro Max from the iPhone X was for the better Front Camera. The iPhone X Front Camera took photos at 7MP, so it’s frustrating to see that the iPhone 12 Pro Max is also only taking selfies at 7MP. Why am I not getting 12MP photos? Someone please explain what’s going on because I didn’t pay $1,200 for this phone to end up with the same image resolution of a phone that’s three generations older.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 4:05 AM

my 12 has the same "12mpx" spec and has never taken more than 7mpx photo even it full sun.

Obviously low light will reduce the effective iso rating by reducing pixels but 12mpx sensor does not guarantee 12MB photos in any camera system except RAW and I dont believe front camera provides RAW.

Put it in the same advertising category as water resistance and scratch resistance.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 4:05 AM in response to Macintaysh

my 12 has the same "12mpx" spec and has never taken more than 7mpx photo even it full sun.

Obviously low light will reduce the effective iso rating by reducing pixels but 12mpx sensor does not guarantee 12MB photos in any camera system except RAW and I dont believe front camera provides RAW.

Put it in the same advertising category as water resistance and scratch resistance.

Nov 21, 2021 6:38 AM in response to LD150

Thanks for your reply, LD150. What you said certainly makes sense about not getting 12MP photos all the time. And in response to the RAW setting, the front camera does in fact give you that option and that does not change the image size either. The problem I have with this is that the rear camera does take 12MP photos all the time and what I dislike is that the specifications provided by Apple led me to believe that the front camera had that capability also. They used that as a selling point and the fact that I get 12MP photos from the front camera exactly 0% of the time comes down to flat out false advertising. So no offense, but for the amount of money I’ve paid and how far technology has allegedly come, this is absolutely inexcusable and I refuse to put up with just accepting that as a solution. Please understand I’m not irritated with you, I’m irritated with Apple. Thank you again for responding.

iPhone 12 Pro Max Front Camera Stuck at 7MP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.