Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change my POP setting to IMAP without clearing my already downloaded email ?

I want to sync my mail in my MacBook Pro to my Imac and My ipad.. I read somewhere that I need to change my email setting from POP to IMAP .. but if I Can not change this without creating new account is that mean I have to delete my POP account ? if I delete the account then I lose all my already downloaded email.. How I do this without losing my emails.. Appreciate your help..

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 8:21 PM

6 replies

Dec 13, 2021 12:01 PM in response to tbirdvet

I've just had a nightmare as a result of following this advice.

I wasn't aware that when I copied the emails from 'On My Mac' back to newly created IMAP account, that the emails were also going to be transferred to server of new Email hosting service which had a MB limit. So when it reached limit it gave me notice that inbox was full. Result: 865 emails copies out of 1400+ emails.

Additionally, I didn't want my emails to be stored on external server. When I realised I had 'uploaded' my old emails to new Email hosting, I tried to copy them back to folder on my Mac.

Result, emails lost on way over (on IMAP) server...as copies were somehow lost because I deleted folder thinking operation was done (it wasn't). So when I got notice that Inbox was full, I had already deleted the folder on my Mac.

When I tried to copy them back...on one inbox it lost all emails (as it hadn't properly ever copied them over before crash.

Plus, I never wanted emails to be 'stored' on external server.....

So beware people that migrate from POP to IMAP. Emails are not stored only on your computer once you download them.

On IMAP what is 'downloaded' on your computer still stays on server. If you delete it from server it's deleted from your inbox as well. You retain your own copy only if you save it to own folder from inbox. UGH

Dec 13, 2021 1:11 PM in response to mctomac

You may be able to retrieve the "on my Mac" mail. Open Finder, then using the option key click on GO then library. Go to mail/V8 (or perhaps V9) folder. There you will find folders that have cryptic names. Open those and look for the folders from "on you Mac". If they are there you can export to your desktop and then import from mail to restore. Also. did you make a TM backup before moving the email files? If you did you may be able to also retrieve from that.

How do I change my POP setting to IMAP without clearing my already downloaded email ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.