Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 15 - 2018(A1990) repeated logic board failure

I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro that was bought early last year (Mar/Apr 2020). Logic board have already failed once last year -- just a few months into using the laptop (which was covered under warranty) and it failed again a few days back. Brought it to Apple Service Center and they said that I'd have to pay $1000 to replace another logic board. But seriously, what if the logic board fails again? Does that mean that I'll have to pay each time it fails just to get it fixed? Because I'm pretty sure the macbook is probably faulty from the start. Have seen some others facing the same issue in forums. Any advise if it is even worth getting fixed?

Here's some of the specs:

Macbook Pro 15, Intel i9, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 20.

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 5:14 PM

I don't know what caused the particular failures in those two Logic Boards, but I can tell you that some lower quality third party accessories & devices (especially power adapters) can damage the Logic Board by blowing out the protective circuitry on the USB-C ports. Make sure to only use good quality external devices & cables from well respected reputable brands. I'm not saying this is the case with your laptop, but it is something to consider to protect the laptop.

It is also possible you have an item that you rarely connect to this laptop which is damaged and it caused damage to the laptop when it was connected to the laptop again. If this is the case, then it can be very difficult & expensive to determine what item is bad.

Also if the laptop has a suspected Logic Board issue make sure to attempt to "Restore" the T2 firmware before having the Logic Board replaced. The laptop does have to power on into DFU Mode in order to attempt this process and it does require access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+. An Apple service tech should have attempted this process before replacing the Logic Board, but it would be best to request this be tried just to make sure the tech doesn't skip it. "Restoring" the T2 firmware will destroy all data on the laptop.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 5:14 PM in response to jiasuan

I don't know what caused the particular failures in those two Logic Boards, but I can tell you that some lower quality third party accessories & devices (especially power adapters) can damage the Logic Board by blowing out the protective circuitry on the USB-C ports. Make sure to only use good quality external devices & cables from well respected reputable brands. I'm not saying this is the case with your laptop, but it is something to consider to protect the laptop.

It is also possible you have an item that you rarely connect to this laptop which is damaged and it caused damage to the laptop when it was connected to the laptop again. If this is the case, then it can be very difficult & expensive to determine what item is bad.

Also if the laptop has a suspected Logic Board issue make sure to attempt to "Restore" the T2 firmware before having the Logic Board replaced. The laptop does have to power on into DFU Mode in order to attempt this process and it does require access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+. An Apple service tech should have attempted this process before replacing the Logic Board, but it would be best to request this be tried just to make sure the tech doesn't skip it. "Restoring" the T2 firmware will destroy all data on the laptop.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Nov 21, 2021 6:55 AM in response to jiasuan

jiasuan wrote:

I have a 15 inch Macbook Pro that was bought early last year (Mar/Apr 2020). Logic board have already failed once last year -- just a few months into using the laptop (which was covered under warranty) and it failed again a few days back. Brought it to Apple Service Center and they said that I'd have to pay $1000 to replace another logic board.

But seriously, what if the logic board fails again? Does that mean that I'll have to pay each time it fails just to get it fixed? Because I'm pretty sure the macbook is probably faulty from the start. Have seen some others facing the same issue in forums. Any advise if it is even worth getting fixed?

Here's some of the specs:
Macbook Pro 15, Intel i9, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 20.

There is no guarantee ...beyond a typical 90 warranty on recent parts and labor.

If you have a lemon, I would get out from under it....

I would not buy a new Mac today without the added AppleCare+ this gives you 1+2 =3 years of total coverage, with the option to extend.

If you have AppleCare+ it will cover a large portion of accidental damage.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210580

Macbook Pro 15 - 2018(A1990) repeated logic board failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.