Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Pro and Apple magic keyboard

When using my iPad and Magic Keyboard and typing a search in Safari and other programs the space key is not working to type a sentence or search, the space bar is acting like the tab key? How do I correct this?

iPad Pro, 15

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 3:03 PM

jde1962 wrote:

When using my iPad and Magic Keyboard and typing a search in Safari and other programs the space key is not working to type a sentence or search, the space bar is acting like the tab key? How do I correct this?

Make sure Full Keyboard Access is turned OFF in Accessibility settings.

12 replies

Nov 21, 2021 12:04 PM in response to jde1962

Ok thanks for the update. Are you using the Bluetooth Magic Keyboard or the Magic keyboard case with smart connector?

• Try seeing if the smart connector on the iPad and the pins on the keyboard are clean. (if using the magic keyboard case)
  • Restart your iPad
  • See if there is any debris or dust under the keys. If the space bar is acting like the tab key then there could be something under the key making it register more than once.
  • Make sure your iPad OS is up to date.
  • Try going to settings > general > transfer or reset iPad > reset > reset keyboard dictionary > enter your passcode

Try these steps and see if they resolve the issue.

Nov 21, 2021 7:11 AM in response to jde1962

Hi,

You can try going to the settings app > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard > then choose your language.

Do not choose the (automatic) option beside your language, you must choose that language specifically that does not have (automatic) beside it. This should fix your keyboard. I had a similar issue and this fixed it for me.

Nov 27, 2021 8:46 AM in response to jde1962

That’s strange. Usually these issues are not limited to certain apps, normally they affect every app on the iPad. You can go in the settings app > general > keyboard or settings > accessibility > keyboards and see if any settings can be changed to fix this issue. You can also try restoring your iPad with a Mac or Windows PC or getting a warranty replacement for the magic keyboard if you are still in the warranty period.

IPad Pro and Apple magic keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.