Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't remove or change the password for my encrypted backup

I can't remove or change the password for my encrypted backup. I tried 'Settings > General > Transfer or Reset > Reset Network Settings' as this article suggested. I left my phone plugged in to the computer while I did this. When my phone restarted, it connected again (after I said I trust the computer, and entered my phone's passcode). Nothing changed! The backup file now has a new timestamp, but iTunes still indicates that it is locked/encrypted. When I uncheck the 'encrypt backup', it asks for a password. When I say 'change password', it asks for the old one first.

I got here because I can't remember my old password for the encrypted backup ... and I'm following what the article said.

Why didn't the 'Reset Network Settings' remove the old password for encrypted backup like the article said it would.

iPhone 8

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 1:08 PM

Where does it say to reset network settings for a forgotten backup password? Read it again; it says you can create a NEW encrypted backup if you Reset Network Settings; it does not say you can remove the password from an existing encrypted backup. In fact, it says:

You won't be able to use previous encrypted backups, but you can use the Finder or iTunes to back up your current data and set a new backup password.

When you entered the backup password if you have a Mac and have Keychain enabled you were given the option of saving the password in Keychain (this is the default). So check Keychain for it.

If neither of those work you get unlimited guesses, so try to guess what password you might have entered back when. If you are like most people it will be a password that you reused. And to speed up the process click to change the password and you will be prompted immediately.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2021 1:08 PM in response to pb111

Where does it say to reset network settings for a forgotten backup password? Read it again; it says you can create a NEW encrypted backup if you Reset Network Settings; it does not say you can remove the password from an existing encrypted backup. In fact, it says:

You won't be able to use previous encrypted backups, but you can use the Finder or iTunes to back up your current data and set a new backup password.

When you entered the backup password if you have a Mac and have Keychain enabled you were given the option of saving the password in Keychain (this is the default). So check Keychain for it.

If neither of those work you get unlimited guesses, so try to guess what password you might have entered back when. If you are like most people it will be a password that you reused. And to speed up the process click to change the password and you will be prompted immediately.

I can't remove or change the password for my encrypted backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.