Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad not charging!

My iPad Pro wont charge. I’ve tried a different charger/adaptor. Ive turned it off and back on. Ive cleaned the ports…nothing works

Posted on Nov 21, 2021 8:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 7:27 AM

As described, your iPad or its battery may have a fault. These support pages should help with troubleshooting:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item.

If you continue to experience difficulties, you might be best advised to first seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2021 7:27 AM in response to LFSwan

As described, your iPad or its battery may have a fault. These support pages should help with troubleshooting:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item.

If you continue to experience difficulties, you might be best advised to first seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Nov 21, 2021 8:47 PM in response to LFSwan

LFSwan Said:

"iPad not charging!: My iPad Pro wont charge. I’ve tried a different charger/adaptor. Ive turned it off and back on. Ive cleaned the ports…nothing works"

-------

Troubleshooting iPad Power:

Try what is on these Links:

Time to Upgrade, Perhaps?:

How old is your device? What is the model? Perhaps your device is outdated and obsolete, therefore unable to install an update. With this being the case, you more vulnerable and prone, to security and power failures, respectively. So, if this cannot be fixed, then take this as a good reason to upgrade to a much more, newer model.

Nov 22, 2021 7:57 AM in response to LotusPilot

I had an issue with a 2017 iPad Pro which wouldn't hold a charge - and @LotusPilot, who seems to consider himself the Community mobile device guru (not having a pop at you, LP; judging by your username, we're of a similar vintage, and it's an age where our own RAM begins to fail), LP is a benevolent, kind, and generous human, and I've a great deal of time for him.

Anyway, before you consider the battery faulty/failing, consider your charger and cable. Y'see, I had a problem with my iPad dropping from 100% to just 2% whilst plugged in, and I was panicking because I wasn't in a position to take it to the local Apple Store (just 3 miles away). Took me ages to realise what the problem was. I'd had a cable fail, and the cable I'd replaced it with was rated higher than the charger, which was the bog-standard 20W which Apple supplies and, of course, the cable was trying to draw current faster than the charger could supply it, meaning that my iPad was always on the losing end, as it were.

I bought a much higher wattage charger (UGREEN 65W I think it is) and I've 2 iPads (2017 and 2020 iPad Pros) and my Galaxy S10 plugged into it and I've had zero problems since. The cable is rated up to 100W, so no wonder it had problems with a 20W plug!

I'm not sure how you'd find out the wattage of your cable, but the wattage should be printed on the charger. If you're not sure, I'd replace them both together - it's still going to cost less than replacing the battery (but, of course, you may find that you still need to do that). The cable was £12 and the charger £40. Try that first.

Nov 22, 2021 8:20 AM in response to RosaAlba

I’m not sure if I should be flattered - or not…🙂

Either way, your cable is “a cable”. Whilst you should choose a good quality cable able to carry sufficient charging current, unless the cable itself has a fault or is damaged, the cable does not draw current. The device to which it is connected (“the load”) draws current through the cable from the Power Adapter.

Digressing briefly to physics and electrical theory, an electrical conductor has an electrical resistance - that will generate a tiny amount of heat whilst conducting current along its length. As the individual conductor gets smaller, its electrical resistance increases - as does the power dissipated in the form of heat. Larger conductors have a lower resistance - and therefore cause less power to be dissipated as heat. It can be seen therefore that a cable with a higher power rating is a better cable - not vice versa.

Returning to the Power Adapter…

Most models of iPad require a USB power source of 12W or greater (i.e., 2.4A @5V) to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters, typically associated with iPhone and other mobile phones, are inadequate for charging iPad. Higher powered Power Adapters can be used if compatible with iPad, however, the iPad will only charge at its maximum supported rate.

Recent iPad models support USB PD (Power Delivery) Fast Charging - and can charge at an 18W rate (i.e., 2.0A @9V / 1.5A @12V). Older models of iPad - or iPad models that do not support USB PD, are limited to 12W (2.4A @5V).

iPad not charging!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.