Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I forgot passcode and no iCloud backup

Can I have my iPhone unlocked? I got a new phone this year and was using Face ID all the time on the old one. So when I came back to my old phone one day, the battery was dead and I couldn't use Face ID anymore to unlock. Of course I completely forgot my passcode.

Really if there were no excessive security requirements, I would be fine.

Before, there was the option to leave it unlocked... what happened? too many lawsuits against Apple for not being over-protective parent enough to a few mindlessly dependent users?

I have never had security problems in my life. Then this happens to me for the sake of security.

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 12:54 AM

4 replies

Nov 22, 2021 12:55 AM in response to nap8

Regarding your data, If…

1. You have an iCloud or iTunes latest backup, then there is nothing to worry about. If not read more...
  2. You have synced your data to iCloud, then what you will get back is what you have synced to iCloud and uploaded to iCloud Drive; like the information that are synced and stored in iCloud are, Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice Memosshared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive. (*-If you had turned on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud.)
  3. You have imported your Photos & Videos to Mac/PC then they are safely residing there on Mac/PC
  4. You have uploaded some of it to Cloud Drives using Files app (iCloud Drive, Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, Flickr, box, AmazonDrive, Adobe Creative Cloud etc). The data remains there.
  5. You have not backed up or do not have the latest backup, nor imported nor you have synced nor uploaded your data to cloud drives prior to the situation that you are in, then I am sorry, all your data is lost.

Nov 22, 2021 12:59 AM in response to nap8

Oh and the reason I shut off the iCloud is because it was making unnecessary copies and became difficult to locate things on my hard drive. Two folders with the same names as well.... (documents, pictures,... etc) Didn't need the feature. Then I tried to "unsync" which turns out to have two definitions for Apple. So it took the definition that means it must delete all my files without any way to recover (even though they did have the iCloud recover option, but it didn't work).

Nov 22, 2021 1:06 AM in response to SravanKrA

That is very surprising to find out when I purchase a product that costs so much money and I have no ability to manage the security. It is my own data on my device, but only allowed to have recovery through a paid "option" of iCloud.

I guess this is another example of industry leaders maintaining a leash on their products.

I forgot passcode and no iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.