Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BACKUP IN THE INTERNAL MACBOOK DISK

I'D Like to backup directly into my MacBook hard disk instead of in the cloud)

MacBook Air 13″, 12.0

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 12:23 AM

Thx for your comprehensive response.

I’ve got an external 1T disk and I use to back up every 2 weeks.

the question is that every time I back up, the procedure send me in « iCloud » and says « ICloud is full, subscribe to …$ per month ».

I don’t need it really...

I got a MacBook Air with an internal 1T HD and I’m using for just 10% not more.

thx you anyway for your help getting me aware that everything is already backed up into my MacBook internal 1T HD 👍

David

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2021 12:23 AM in response to babowa

Thx for your comprehensive response.

I’ve got an external 1T disk and I use to back up every 2 weeks.

the question is that every time I back up, the procedure send me in « iCloud » and says « ICloud is full, subscribe to …$ per month ».

I don’t need it really...

I got a MacBook Air with an internal 1T HD and I’m using for just 10% not more.

thx you anyway for your help getting me aware that everything is already backed up into my MacBook internal 1T HD 👍

David

Nov 23, 2021 8:31 AM in response to icloud179dsl

icloud179dsl wrote:

I’ve got MacBook Air 1T go internal HD.
I use not more than 20% max…
then I’d like to backup all my files inside.
someone said that MacBook do that automatically.
that’s okay for me 👍

Time Machine already does this, when you are disconnected from your external backup device.

The feature is known as Local Snapshots ➡️ About Time Machine local snapshots - Apple Support

You really don’t want to depend on this particular feature, for all the reasons repeated throughout the replies in this thread. Not because the Local Snapshots feature doesn’t work—it does—but because performing a backup of the device that can be lost/stolen/dunked onto the same device that can be lost/stolen/dunked means you have no backups for recovery.

As an alternative to one problem some folks can have with using Time Machine and you have the budget for it, certain NAS storage devices—those with Time Machine support—can be used with Time Machine when you’re connected to the same Wi-Fi, which means you don’t have to go to the desk or table or shelf where you have your backup disks stored and physically connect. You get Time Machine backups whenever the Mac is within range of the Wi-Fi.

Nov 22, 2021 6:03 PM in response to icloud179dsl

Time Machine already supports this, when unable to connect to the direct-attached or network-attached external storage configured for Time Machine usage.

With no external backups, your data is at risk of hardware damage, theft, loss, damage, dunking, or otherwise; you’ll risk catastrophic loss of both your primary data and of your backup.

And Mac doesn’t back up to iCloud with Time Machine, though some third-party backup tools can offer that.

Nov 22, 2021 6:44 PM in response to icloud179dsl

No, you really do not want to do that. This is the worst idea - why? Because all hard disks will fail sooner or later; so, if you have both your primary and backup data on the same drive, you will lose them all at once. And, SSDs fail without warning, so a good external backup should be maintained. You can buy an external drive and use Time Machine - no need to use iCloud.

Nov 23, 2021 7:57 AM in response to ku4hx

No your Macbook does not back up "inside". The files there are "originals". For a backup, you need to copy those files to an external drive.

If you are getting a message that icloud is full, then turn icloud off if you do not want to use it. Your settings must be to sync your content to icloud. You get a default 5 GB space there and that may be full. If you do not want to use it, there is no requirement to do so - just uncheck the setting in your iCloud Pane.

You said that you already do a Time Machine backup, so that should be fine. If you do not, get an external drive and start using Time Machine.

BACKUP IN THE INTERNAL MACBOOK DISK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.