Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari: no space left on device

Hi,

since the upgrade to MacOS Monterey I am getting always the error message in Safari that I have no space left on the device. This mostly only happens when I have two or more tabs open.

My hard drive has currently over 300GB free space and my iCloud more than 1.5TB; not sure where I need to allocate more space.

My device(s):

• happens both on 2019 16inch MacBookPro and 2020 27inch IMAC
  • both devices are on the latest version of Monterey 12.0.1
  • both devices have over 300GB of free space on hard drive

This error message also only comes on Safari; do not have issues with any other Application.

Using Chrome now mostly, but would like to switch back to Safari (however Chrome works fine and is stable and with Safari I cannot open more than one tab currently)

Thanks

Alex

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2021 8:30 AM

Hi,

I found a post on reddit with a simple solution:

1. Open the Safari Preferences and go to Privacy
  2. Turn off the option Hide IP address from trackers
  3. Done!

It works just fine and webpages are loading again after turning that off.

And please report that bug to Apple here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

So they can fix that annoying bug in a future release.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2021 8:30 AM in response to Alex_42

Hi,

I found a post on reddit with a simple solution:

1. Open the Safari Preferences and go to Privacy
  2. Turn off the option Hide IP address from trackers
  3. Done!

It works just fine and webpages are loading again after turning that off.

And please report that bug to Apple here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

So they can fix that annoying bug in a future release.

Feb 15, 2022 4:03 PM in response to bailey#70

I tried the Fix, and no luck, still the same error message, I need to Quit Safari and reopen. I thought maybe Memory so upgraded to 32GB DDR4 Memory, 200.00 later same problem. I should have kept my iMac 2011 27". Apple is loosing my trust slowly but surely. After calling several times to Apple support, gets me spending money that's all. Someone at Apple should read this and fix the problem.

Nov 23, 2021 7:51 AM in response to Alex_42

Hi Alex_42,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with using Safari on your MacBook Pro and iMac. We'd like to help.

From what you've described, it sounds like this resource could be helpful:

If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected

Let us know how that goes and we'll go from there.

Cheers!

Jan 29, 2022 1:42 PM in response to burpootus

Add me to the list of those with this problem. I've only had my current iMac (2020 27in) for a few months, it was intentionally set up clean out of the box rather than restoring from my old 2012 iMac. This problem has only existed since upgrading from Big Sur to Monterey. I updated Monterey just yesterday to 12.2 and am running the very latest Safari (15.3) and the problem persists.

This is happening to me on an almost daily basis, I've been using Safari almost exclusively for more than 10 years and moving to Chrome is a real pita. When I re-open the windows I'm either having to manually select the 're-open windows from last session' option or remember what windows I had open before. In addition all session information seems to get lost (I have to log back into multiple websites, re-accept cookies, etc).

I read that clearing the option to "hide IP address from trackers" was supposed to help but that has made no difference.

Dec 7, 2021 2:22 AM in response to frjason3

I have to agree with you, now the error occurred again for me as well.

Strangely enough, in the Safari preferences the "Hide IP" option was suddenly enabled again.

However, the web pages are loading properly after disabling the option again and restarting Safari.

Please report the bug to Apple with link above - the more feedback they get, the faster they can fix it.

Feb 22, 2022 10:19 AM in response to Alex_42

The issue is SO persistent on my M1 MacBook Air! I tried every solution I could find and made sure that the system and Safari are the latest, but none of that worked. I'm having ~50 websites opened at the same time, is this too many? I never had this issue before upgrading to Monterey. This is REALLY REALLY painful to fail to open a website and see the error again and again, and I don't want to use Chrome b/c of this issue! Plz resolve this Apple! This never happened in my ten-year experience of using a Mac! Thanks!

Safari: no space left on device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.