Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System storage on OSMojave over 72gb, how do I reduce this?

Hey everyone, this has probably come up somewhere before, but I have a MacBook Pro with 128gb memory (yeah i know not fantastic) but my system storage is taking up a whopping 72gb of that, which honestly is just insane!

I've been needing to download Adobe Illustrator, but due to my computer not having the latest software update, I go update as requested, only to be told I don't have enough space, surprise surprise due to previously mentioned 72gb of space being taken up by the system. I have an external hard drive for all my extra stuff like pics, music, films, photoshop space etc, but just need that extra room for new updates!!

So I've been doing research for the past few hours, including deleting excess caches and logs but don't seem to be finding just what is taking up 72gb's worth. I have seen that usually system information can take up on average 10-12gb, why is mine 72gb?

I'm losing my mind just a bit, and obvs a bit frustrated that half my storage is being taken up by something I can't control!

If someone can help who has had a similar issue, would be amazing!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 10:57 AM

Have been a faithful Apple Eco-System user since the Powerbook PPC Motorola CPU with Tiger OS X 10.4 and for a ever long time, Apple has sold laptops with the tiny 128 GB SSD drives.

Agree, should not have been offered especially as the newer versions of macOS are more robust requiring bigger SSD Internal Drives.

But it is what it is.

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2021 10:57 AM in response to tara_palmer

Have been a faithful Apple Eco-System user since the Powerbook PPC Motorola CPU with Tiger OS X 10.4 and for a ever long time, Apple has sold laptops with the tiny 128 GB SSD drives.

Agree, should not have been offered especially as the newer versions of macOS are more robust requiring bigger SSD Internal Drives.

But it is what it is.

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Nov 22, 2021 9:28 AM in response to tara_palmer

It is clear to me that you have a lot of data and you have small hard drive. The solution is going to be for you to install an external drive, then transfer data to it such as photos and music, and then delete them from your hard drive to clear the needed space. For your information, I offer the following information, which is important to know.

The Other Category should not be altered, modified, move or deleted since it is part of the Mac’s operating system. Doing so would corrupt the OS and render the OS inoperative requiring a Wipe and Re-Installation.

The Other category is a potpourri of files which include:

• System temporary files

• macOS system folders

• Archives and disk images (.zip, .iso, etc. - often found in the Downloads folder)

• Personal user data

• Files from the user’s library (Application Support, iCloud files, screensavers, etc.)

• Cache files

• Fonts, plugins, extensions

• Other files that are not recognized by a Spotlight search

• Media files that cannot be classified by Spotlight as a media file because they are located inside of a package

They can be located anywhere on your hard drive. The files that you have control over are located in the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Movies folders.

Also, if your OS becomes too full your computer will stop functioning.

Nov 22, 2021 8:06 AM in response to tara_palmer

Indeed: there is something wrong.

Do not use About-this-Mac to get some info: but use the app: Applications->Utilities->SystemInformation.

First check the list "Software" "Applications" to see if there is running a spook or something.

If it does not go away after a restart:

download Etrecheck and run it to have an analysis and info about what is wrong.

Nov 22, 2021 10:19 AM in response to Ronasara

So this is something that i have been doing since I first bought this laptop in question, as I’m well aware of the storage space. As you can see in the picture I originally included, my ‘music, pictures and extra files’ are mostly stored on my 2tb external hard drive already. What I have in that particular area already including, pictures, movies, downloads etc does not equate to 72gb of data.

I have owned mac computers for 20 years and have never had this issue before where the System Storage is in excess of 70gb, which is clearly not right.

Thanks for the post.

Dec 9, 2021 1:32 PM in response to PRP_53

somehow my system storage has ballooned to 680G on TB drive. Removed all local backups and using a 4TB external, still my Mojave 21" is slow. been through the disk utility steps from restart drive is good. Looks unfixable but to go back in time. Apple is not as nice as 5, 10 or 27 years ago when i bought my first 7100AV...

System storage on OSMojave over 72gb, how do I reduce this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.