Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini M1 2nd external display issues immediately after upgrade to macOS Monterey 12.0.1

Anyone having issues with 2nd display not working after upgrade to macOS Monterey 12.0.1 on a Mac M1 Mini ?

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini9,1

Chip: Apple M1

System Firmware Version: 7429.41.5

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 7:31 AM

Does the second extended display light, if you physically disconnect and reconnect it?

If it does, go to Mission Control > Hot Corner... > setup a Hot Corner to Put Display to Sleep.

Now use the Hot Corner to put the displays to sleep and test it to see if both displays re-wake.

Similar questions

11 replies

Nov 22, 2021 8:43 AM in response to woodmeister50

1 display is fine (connected via USB-C), second display "out of range" (HDMI). Both displays are same make and model - Viewsonic VA2452SM.

both displays with same connections were working just fine with Big Sur.

Tried all basic tc steps including reinstalling Monterey

tried flipping connections and issue is always with extended display

Nov 24, 2021 6:44 PM in response to ek_m1

On my 2020 Mac M1 not only will my 2nd display not work at all, but the primary display works about 30 seconds and goes black. If I continue to type during the black screen when the display comes back (usually 10-20 seconds later) everything I typed is on the document. Unfortunately, I updated both office computers at the same time the second is a 2014 Mac Mini and it won't boot past the update screen. Both Mac minis are down due to the Monterey 12.0.1 update.

Nov 25, 2021 4:40 AM in response to ek_m1

Just to add to @hcsitas, are you using HDMI certified high speed cables? There are many reports on any platform, Mac or PC, of non-certified cables simply not working or working flakey after any system update or from day one. That also applies to DisplayPort cables as well. If they are not certified by VESA, expect the same flakey results.

Also, just because a cable is pricey, does not make it good if it is not a certified cable.

Nov 26, 2021 10:36 AM in response to ForrestAllen

After purchasing a "Certified HDMI" cable and still having no luck on my Mac mini M1 after the update with Monterey 12.0.1. I found that changing the refresh rate to the lowest setting corrected the issues on my primary screen (Sceptre 24") with the second screen unplugged. But my 2nd screen(Sceptre 34") only had a black screen when plugged in (Hooked up though a long USB-C cable to a cheap amazon multi hub adapter to HDMI). Hooking the Sceptre 34" up as a primary HDMI to HDMI with the new certified cable would work for a bit then white noise and just cycle back and forth between working, white noise and black screen.

Long story short after hours wasted and trips to the store for "Certified" cable I found that the original setup that always worked before the update also works perfect after the update when the refresh rate was turned to the lowest setting for both monitors.

Click the apple in the top left > System Preferences... > Displays > Display Settings > Refresh Rate

Set the refresh rate for both monitors to the lowest number available.

Mac mini M1 2nd external display issues immediately after upgrade to macOS Monterey 12.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.