Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer Music app content on iPad to iMac plus archive.

The goals are (1) to transfer my iPad Music app Library to a iMac Music app Library, and at the same time (2) provide for easy, future access to these songs optimally archived in an iMac folder. I am roughly aware of iTunes Match and Music subscription proposed solutions here and have scanned the situation with my iPad connected by USB to the iMac. What is the BEST approach here?

iPad mini 5, iPadOS 15

Posted on Nov 22, 2021 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 10:23 AM

Hey there MuseSav,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. The only supported way to move music from your iPad to your Mac would be through Apple Music. Moving via USB is not supported and iTunes Match uploads the music library form your Mac, not your iPad per the following article:

Subscribe to iTunes Match

Apple Music is different than iTunes Match in that if the subscription service ends, you may not have access to the music library on your Mac any more. You can read more about the service here:

Join Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC

You may want to do some further research to determine what method is best for you.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2021 10:23 AM in response to MuseSav

Hey there MuseSav,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. The only supported way to move music from your iPad to your Mac would be through Apple Music. Moving via USB is not supported and iTunes Match uploads the music library form your Mac, not your iPad per the following article:

Subscribe to iTunes Match

Apple Music is different than iTunes Match in that if the subscription service ends, you may not have access to the music library on your Mac any more. You can read more about the service here:

Join Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC

You may want to do some further research to determine what method is best for you.

Take care.

Transfer Music app content on iPad to iMac plus archive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.