Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I do usb tethering on iPad 6gen?

How do I do tethering?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 2:26 AM

2 replies

Nov 23, 2021 3:45 AM in response to kawal256

Are you attempting to tether your iPad to a mobile phone hotspot - or tether other devices to a hotspot created by an Cellular-model iPad that itself has a DataSIM and associated Cellular connection?

If you need help to set-up or troubleshoot a hotspot on either an iPhone or iPad, these support pages should be helpful:

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) - Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-to-tether-ipad-wi-fi-iphone-personal-hotspot

You may need to verify with your Cellular Carrier that your Cellular service plan includes tethering. This is sometimes a feature for which you must an additional charge.

Assuming that your Cellular service plan supports hotspot (i.e., tethering), you should be able to connect to the iPhone/iPad hotspot either wirelessly (using WiFi), or via a wired (USB) connection.

If you are unable to tether via WiFi, a wired connection between iPad and iPhone is supported…

Your iPad6 has a Lightning port - as does an iPhone. As such, a direct wired connection between devices with require a suitable adapter to provide a USB Host Controller. This will doubtless sound complicated, so don’t worry about technicalities beyond needing an essential item to facilitate the connection that you are attempting to make:

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

Don’t be confused by the name of this Adapter. Whilst it can be used for connecting a camera, it is full USB Adapter that supports connection to many other USB devices. To use the iPhone’s hotspot connection, you will need to connect this adapter directly to the iPad - and then connect the iPhone via its charging cable to the USB port of the adapter. You are now ready to enable the iPhone hotspot over a wired connection.

On your iPhone:

Settings > Mobile Data > Personal Hotspot > Allow Others to Join - set to ON

Once enabled, your iPad should detect a network connection over the wired connection - and be able to send/receive via your iPhone’s Cellular connection.

How do I do usb tethering on iPad 6gen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.