Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I change the NAME of my Mac?

There is a listing of devices on lower left corner of the Apple ID dialog box(System Prefs). Joe's MacBook Air, Jenny's Mac mini, etc etc.

It appears there is no edit capability to change the name of the Mac, itself. in this list or even find these device names anywhere@! I can sign in to Apple ID and click on the device but it is NOT editable for its name?!

I can edit my Apple ID; I can change the Hard disk drive's name, but there is no way to access, that I can see, the name of the Mac itself. True? What did I miss?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 12:43 PM

4 replies

Nov 23, 2021 9:03 PM in response to Phil0124

Well, that IS a start anyway.

I was allowed to change the name-- locally. . . HOWEVER, after restarting the Mac and restarting the Airport time capsule and logging in to Apple ID / devices/ . . . It was still listed with it's OLD name. BUT, oddly enough, if I go a bit deeper past Apple ID/ devices/ to "the device icon details"/ view on iCloud. . . and then sign in to iCloud . . . iCloud DOES show the new device name but, as pointed out, Apple ID fails to show the update. Pretty weird.

SO, it changes locally and on iCloud but leaves the OLD name as it was in the Apple ID page. More confusion.

maybe Apple's electrons are just going too slow.

how can I change the NAME of my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.