Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1 Quick Look and Get Info Pane not Animating Gif's

Since updating to Mac OS Monterey, I discovered that Quick Look no longer plays Animated Gif or APNG files, nor does selecting Get Info, however I have found a way to fix this, I would just like to know why Apple have decided to remove the functionality, without notifying users?

You can get the Plug-in to fix it from Sourceforge

https://sourceforge.net/projects/animgifqlgen/

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2021 3:37 PM

I have no problem showing animated gifs with Quicklook:

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2021 3:37 PM in response to stumpy666davies

I have no problem showing animated gifs with Quicklook:

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 25, 2021 2:01 AM in response to Old Toad

I had no problem until a few days ago, then suddenly nothing, but the plug-in was missing, and I didn't delete it, so it is like it had been deleted during the upgrade from BigSur to Monterey, I can't test in safe mode because I already fixed it, by downloading the plug-in, that is working, I posted it as a question just incase others experience the same issue and need the fix, or if Apple's tech staff decide to reply to let us know why, if there was some kind of security reason for it, for example, but I guess there are some things, we just never will know the answer to 😊

Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1 Quick Look and Get Info Pane not Animating Gif's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.