Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive issue – errors on one MacBook Pro / no errors on other MacBook Pro

I'm having trouble with an external hard drive. When I use it with my old MacBook Pro (15" Intel, 2016) there are no issues with it, but when I use it with my new MacBook Pro (16" M1, 2021), I get errors –. it disconnects, I get errors writing to it/reading from it, etc. (Both computers are running macOS 12.0.1; Apple Hardware Test and Diagnostics show no errors on the new MBP.)

When I run Disk Utility's First Aid on the old computer, I get no errors, but on the new computer I usually get this:

Checking file system and repairing if necessary and if possible.
Volume is already unmounted.
Performing fsck_apfs -y -x /dev/rdisk6s1
error: failed to read container superblock
File system check exit code is 8.
Restoring the original state found as unmounted.
File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

Operation failed…

I've tried Disk Drill too. On the old MBP it shows no issues, while on the new MBP it says "439 unreadable sectors":

I've tried reformatting the drive, but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions what could wrong?

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 12:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 1:37 AM

What I am seeing now, is that a lot of external storage drives are needing either a firmware update or a driver update to be able to work correctly with the new M1 Macs.

Just recently WD's G-Drive also need a driver update to be able to work with M1s...The same thing with some Samsung drives... So, it wouldn't hurt to check for software/ firmware updates for your drive...

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2021 1:37 AM in response to t.kyhn

What I am seeing now, is that a lot of external storage drives are needing either a firmware update or a driver update to be able to work correctly with the new M1 Macs.

Just recently WD's G-Drive also need a driver update to be able to work with M1s...The same thing with some Samsung drives... So, it wouldn't hurt to check for software/ firmware updates for your drive...

External hard drive issue – errors on one MacBook Pro / no errors on other MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.