Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari is not working

Since the new update my safari isn’t working. When I click on the safari app it brings up a list of apps rather than the Normal search bar for the internet. I’ve tried settings etc… but nothing that I do fixes the problem.

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 2:19 PM

Hi shani_j4yne,

It sounds like you are accustomed to your browser launching directly into the start page of a search engine website. Something such as the DuckDuckGo.com or Google.com website.

As the result of an update, it seems that Safari is no longer doing that, and is launching into its default start page instead. In order to change that behavior, select Safari > Preferences and then click on the General icon.

On the resulting screen, change the settings as below, with Homepage: being the search engine of your choice.

In order to further enhance this behavior, click on the Search icon and set the Search Engine: setting to match the above.

This will result in your browser launching directly to your search site of choice, as well as ensure that any search terms you type into the web address bar gets handled by that same search engine.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it is not necessary that you actually launch into a search engines website. In other words, with the setting above, you need not ever actually navigate to the www.duckduckgo.com website to perform a search. Instead, anything you type into the web browser address field will result in a search being performed by the search engine of your choice, as set via that second screenshot above. I practically never go to a search engine page any longer.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2021 2:19 PM in response to shani_j4yne

Hi shani_j4yne,

It sounds like you are accustomed to your browser launching directly into the start page of a search engine website. Something such as the DuckDuckGo.com or Google.com website.

As the result of an update, it seems that Safari is no longer doing that, and is launching into its default start page instead. In order to change that behavior, select Safari > Preferences and then click on the General icon.

On the resulting screen, change the settings as below, with Homepage: being the search engine of your choice.

In order to further enhance this behavior, click on the Search icon and set the Search Engine: setting to match the above.

This will result in your browser launching directly to your search site of choice, as well as ensure that any search terms you type into the web address bar gets handled by that same search engine.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it is not necessary that you actually launch into a search engines website. In other words, with the setting above, you need not ever actually navigate to the www.duckduckgo.com website to perform a search. Instead, anything you type into the web browser address field will result in a search being performed by the search engine of your choice, as set via that second screenshot above. I practically never go to a search engine page any longer.

Safari is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.