Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 Mac Mini Target Display on 2011 iMac

Does displaying on an older mac work with newer models for the running (not display) mac- I have a mac mini 2020 with Big Sur and Id like to display it on my old 2011 iMac with High Sierra through that feature. Pretty sure the iMac would work for it, so Im wondering about Big Sur and a newer model than the 2019 requirement in the article.

Mac mini, macOS 11.5

Posted on Nov 24, 2021 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2021 7:56 AM

Sorry but this is not possible: your Mac Mini 2020 is too recent. The article you have consulted states:

The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

4 replies

Dec 2, 2021 5:53 PM in response to 6x6

Doesn't this completely defeat the purpose of the mini? I just bought one today so I could continue to use my laggy late 2012 iMac as the monitor for the iMac. Absolutely ridiculous that I have to go buy a monitor, that doesn't look nearly as nice as my once $2800 beautiful iMac. Keep these products alive. Don't outdate them. That's what the Mac mini is for!

2020 Mac Mini Target Display on 2011 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.