Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my iPhone gps on a wifi-only iPad

I'm considering buying an iPad. I'm aware the wifi-only models don't have a GPS chip and would normally locate using wifi location data. I realise that buying a cellular model might resolve the question, but I would compromise on other features for my budget.

Therefore, if I tether a wifi-only iPad to my iPhone, can the iPad use the iPhone's GPS data to locate (if, for example, there is no other available source)? Would that work with any navigation/mapping app, or is it restricted (eg to Apple Maps)?

If not, are there reasonably-priced bluetooth or plug-in GPS devices that work with the wifi-only iPad that work with any mapping/navigation app?

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 4:26 AM

Thanks Apple_Tricks. Your reply kind of answers the question, but that particular link is not quite what I'm meaning.

Just to clarify, I understand the idea of tethering and that it would give me internet connection via the iPhone. But it's not necessarily internet connection I'm after. Would tethering give the iPad access to the GPS receiver on the iPhone, even if there was no internet connection for the iPhone. In other words, if I had no signal to the iPhone, but paired the iPad to it, could the wifi-only iPad access the GPS receiver on the iPhone and know where it was based on a map previously downloaded to the iPad?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 4:26 AM in response to Apple_Tricks

Thanks Apple_Tricks. Your reply kind of answers the question, but that particular link is not quite what I'm meaning.

Just to clarify, I understand the idea of tethering and that it would give me internet connection via the iPhone. But it's not necessarily internet connection I'm after. Would tethering give the iPad access to the GPS receiver on the iPhone, even if there was no internet connection for the iPhone. In other words, if I had no signal to the iPhone, but paired the iPad to it, could the wifi-only iPad access the GPS receiver on the iPhone and know where it was based on a map previously downloaded to the iPad?

Can I use my iPhone gps on a wifi-only iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.