Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade from Catalina to Monterey

Hello -

I have a 13 inch 2018 MacBook Pro that is currently running Catalina (10.15.7). I never upgraded to Big Sur and wondering if there is any issue with going directly from Catalina to Monterey.

Some of the specs on my machine:

2.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Core i5

Should I upgrade to Big Sur first and then go to Monterey or should I just upgrade to Big Sur and leave it at that?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 7:09 AM

No "real" problem going directly to Monterey.

Some apps may need updates to work with Monterey and likely some would still work on Big Sur but not Monterey.

Make sure you backup since some users/Mac's have problems with upgrades.

You need a minimum of 44GB of free disk space for the upgrade. Same as just going to Big Sur.

SOme users have found that printer drivers for some printers are not available for Monterey..

SOme users have problems with some hub after upgrading to Monterey.

Uninstall any antivirus and cleaning apps since they can cause problems.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 7:09 AM in response to quinn28

No "real" problem going directly to Monterey.

Some apps may need updates to work with Monterey and likely some would still work on Big Sur but not Monterey.

Make sure you backup since some users/Mac's have problems with upgrades.

You need a minimum of 44GB of free disk space for the upgrade. Same as just going to Big Sur.

SOme users have found that printer drivers for some printers are not available for Monterey..

SOme users have problems with some hub after upgrading to Monterey.

Uninstall any antivirus and cleaning apps since they can cause problems.

Nov 27, 2021 3:08 AM in response to quinn28

You want to consider upgrading to Big Sur and then to Monterey. Big Sur is quite stable but Monterey has a few issues which may or may not effect you.

If you first install Big Sur, it's best to have a Time Machine backup on a volume that won't be used eventually used for Monterey backup. In this way, it would be fairly straightforward to revert should you encounter serious problems with Monterey. If such is the case, you would reinstall Big Sur and use the (Big Sur) Time Machine backup with the Migration Assistant to restore your apps, user files, and system settings.

By the way, it's handy to use (and retain) bootable installers for the various macOS versions.

- Pie Lover

Upgrade from Catalina to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.