Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut x and disc burn hanging at 66% so unable to burn a disc.

Hi, I have updated to Monterey version 12.0.1 on an iMac M1. Have the latest version of Final cut x and have been trying to burn a disc for the last few days to an external burner. All works on the burner and it reads all my discs. I have tried my making an export file first that failed. Tried within final cut that failed as well.

Disconnected all other external hard drives with just the burner connected still stops at 66%.

The burner is powered externally and not by the iMac.

It's not worth buying a burning program as it is only a hobby and will only need to burn a disc now and again.

This new M1 had caused me more trouble then any other iMac and it's the third one I have had as the two others had to be sent backend replaced.

Hope someone can help.

Regards

Frustrated OAP

Harry

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 5:07 AM

Hi Gentleman,

Problem solved I took the bull by the horns. Reloaded Final Cut and Monterey and started it all again. BINGO no hang-ups and DVD burnt and playing on other players.

Thanks For help

Regards Harry

No Longer Frustrated Old Plood

Similar questions

11 replies

Nov 26, 2021 7:28 AM in response to harry the plood

At 66% is when the encoded is finished and the embedded CreateDisc application is supposed to actually start writing to disc.

In some cases, this fails to start.

Do you have any menu background? DVD is only standard definition, 720x480. If you choose a background for the DVD menu that is a very big photo, it can cause the burning to fail.

Nov 26, 2021 9:12 AM in response to harry the plood

As Tom suggested, creating a disk image first is always a good idea.

You can test to see if everything came out as expected before potentially wasting a disc; and you can, if necessary, burn multiple copies from that same disk image file, without having to re-export.

However, it seems that the 66% issue does not depend on burning to disc vs creating a disk image file.

Nov 26, 2021 9:43 AM in response to harry the plood

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried making an export file which is ok. I then control-click the title it asked for a disc to be loaded, which I do and the send out the is a message and rejects the disc.

The disc can’t be burned because communication between the computer and the disc drive failed (error code 0xFFFFFFFF80020022).

Still frustrated

Harry

Nov 26, 2021 10:06 AM in response to harry the plood

Ok, this at least tells us that the issue is not in FCP, and you do have an output image file.

I take it that you experimented and confirmed that the resulting file is ok, by mounting it and watching in the DVD Player application.

At the very least, if you can't get your mac to successfully burn, you will have the option to take that file to another mac that can do it. (I would expect that older macs are more likely to work; DVD is by now rather old tech and not used all that much, and that has been the case for some years)

Nov 26, 2021 11:42 AM in response to harry the plood

The conversation is going in the direction that you have created an image file, ( .img)

Is your " export file" a ( .img ) or something else ?

Just to be sure that this is the case, can you confirm that in FCP you selected Share >DVD and that you selected your HARD DRIVE as the Output Device in order to secure a disk image?

If you just exported your movie from FCP and control clicked on that resulting file and select " Burn To Disc" then you will not get an authored DVD, you will get what is called a Data DVD.

Not that this helps with the " 66% " issue , but just wanted to establish that we are interpreting this correctly, i.e. have you created a .img file ?

Nov 27, 2021 6:46 AM in response to Alchroma

HI,

Thanks yes I have tried it with and without the anit-vius still no joy. I have Samsung Model SE-208. It is working as I have used it to burn some music into a DVD as well as a CD.

I will now try and reduce the file size and see if that works. The file is only 11 minutes long and I have burnt longer files than that before I changed to the M1 and Monterey.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards Harry

Frustrated Old Plod.

Final Cut x and disc burn hanging at 66% so unable to burn a disc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.