Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet working cannot connect to Safari and App store

After reinstall of Mac OS after a complete erase of my old computer. Mountain Lion OS installed and I previously was running Catalina. 

Diagnostic says your internet connection appears to be working correctly but when I click on Safari I get this message. “Safari can’t establish a secure connection”. Also clicking on the App store says “cannot connect to the App store”. Appreciate any help.

Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 12:40 PM

If you're inclined to do so, you may be able to use your new Mac to download a newer OS for the old Mac.

In fact, if you simply download the macOS Sierra 10.12 upgrade installer using the new Mac, then copy that installer to the old Mac and run it there, you should be able to upgrade that old Mac. From there, you can then use the old Mac to download the macOS Mojave 10.14 or macOS Catalina 10.15 upgrade installer.

Since you're running Lion now, you must upgrade in steps to reach Mojave or Catalina.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 12:40 PM in response to Lightining2

If you're inclined to do so, you may be able to use your new Mac to download a newer OS for the old Mac.

In fact, if you simply download the macOS Sierra 10.12 upgrade installer using the new Mac, then copy that installer to the old Mac and run it there, you should be able to upgrade that old Mac. From there, you can then use the old Mac to download the macOS Mojave 10.14 or macOS Catalina 10.15 upgrade installer.

Since you're running Lion now, you must upgrade in steps to reach Mojave or Catalina.

Nov 26, 2021 12:05 PM in response to Lightining2

The version of Safari that you are using in Mac OS X Lion is grossly outdated. It is very likely that a secure connection will not be forthcoming. For the same reason, a secure connection to the App Store is also failing. There is no security update available for that Safari version. The only way to upgrade Safari to a more secure version will be to upgrade the OS to something newer.

There are other browsers available, but the OS is too old for the most recent and secure versions of those browsers to be compatible.

I believe your best option will be upgrade that Mac to Mojave and take advantage of the more recent and secure versions of Safari. If possible and if you have no 32-bit software that would be incompatible, you should reinstall Catalina and leave it at that.

Your 32-bit apps won’t work in Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

Use the free utility Go64 to check the compatibility of your apps:

https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

Nov 26, 2021 12:28 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks,

I have been trying to update but I cannot get to the internet, diagnostics says there is not a problem with internet but I cannot connect to the server to update. In fact the system, says updates are available.

I never used OS X Lion on the old computer even when I first bought it in 2012.

I am communicating with you on my new computer

Thanks again

Internet working cannot connect to Safari and App store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.