Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Pro Optimized Battery Charging

I just got a pair of AirPods Pro and am wondering wether the OBC feature works just like the iPhone's.

In other words, is it in any way depended on the main 'optimized battery charging' switch in the iPhones battery menu or is the toggle in the AirPods menu enough to make it ready to go? Does it also require data from significant locations and needs 'system customization' turned on, just like the iPhone and its own OBC mode works? I am asking because I have Significant Locations turned off because I don't utilize the OBC for the iPhone but would like to make use of it on the AirPods. Will the feature kick on automatically regardless or do I have to enable Significant locations again? I cannot find information about this anywhere. Thank you

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 12:21 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 27, 2021 11:44 AM in response to user0197

Greetings, user0197.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. Congrats on your new AirPods. We can understand why you’d want to know more about Optimized Battery Charging. 

“Learn about Optimized Battery Charging on AirPods Pro and AirPods (3rd generation)

Optimized Battery Charging is designed to reduce the wear on your battery and improve its lifespan by reducing the time that your AirPods Pro and AirPods (3rd generation) spend fully charged. AirPods Pro, AirPods (3rd generation), and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch learn from your daily charging routine and will wait to charge your AirPods Pro or AirPods (3rd generation) past 80% until just before you need to use them.

Optimized Battery Charging for AirPods Pro and AirPods (3rd generation) requires an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad and is on by default when you set up your device, or after you update it to iOS or iPadOS 15 or later. To turn off the feature, open the AirPods case, then go to Settings > Bluetooth on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Tap the More Info button  next to your AirPods Pro or AirPods (3rd generation) in the list of devices. Turn off Optimized Battery Charging.” Charge your AirPods and learn about battery life 

We hope this helps! Thanks for being a part of the community.

Sincerely.

Dec 3, 2021 12:34 AM in response to user0197

For anyone who stumbles across this and is curious. It's been exactly 8 days and today this popped up.

However so far nothing showing in the AirPods Pop Up

I went back and toggled Optimized Battery Charging in the main iPhone battery menu on again a couple days ago (even tho the phone itself might never pick up on a routine because I charge via a smart plug which starts charging an hour before I wake up and turns off once the phone is charged 85%). I also re-enabled Significant Locations and re-toggled the OBC switch in the AirPods bluetooth settings (I tapped 'Turn off until tomorrow' and not 'Turn off' because turning it off entirely would probably erase all the 'routine data' the device has already gathered and start from scratch).

I think a main aspect of getting OBC to work is to have the AirPods themselves in the case a lot so they are at 100% and have the case always charged to a fairly high percentage. Since the OBC algorithm is designed to reduce the time they spend at 100%, having them at 100% a lot should theoretically help to kick in the OBC sooner to prevent them from sitting at a full charge all the time.

Essentially there is two ways of OBC

(This is a picture from reddit)

As you can see, the AirPods are scheduled to charge again, as it was picked up by your routine that you will most likely use them again at around 09:00

And this is what I'd like to see. Optimized Battery charging just keeping the AirPods themselves at around 80%. I can manage the case charge myself pretty well but the AirPods must use the OBC feature otherwise the battery will just be trash. (Also from reddit)

Nov 28, 2021 2:03 AM in response to KMB_12

No unfortunately this is exactly what I was able to find myself on apples support documents for AirPods charging and does not help me one bit.

I would have love to get a real world example of someone with AirPods where the OBC actually started working and maybe have so guidelines as to what to do in order for it to establish a charging schedule

AirPods Pro Optimized Battery Charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.