Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need assistance to retrieve documents previously created using Word. Just upgraded iMac OS to Catalina. Could not open old Word and upgraded to newer version. Now do not see prior Word docs when I go to File Open. How can I find them?

Need assistance to retrieve documents previously created using Word. Just upgraded iMac OS to Catalina.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 3:21 PM

If you don't know where you saved your Word documents when you originally created them, one option is to open a Finder window, click the magnifying glass search icon at the top right of that window, type .doc or .docx and that should find the documents.

If the Finder "View" menu shows "Hide Path Bar" then click that so that it changes to "Show Path Bar." You can then click (highlight) items in the search result and look at the bottom of the Finder window to see the path to where they are stored. You can then open a document by double-clicking it in the search results or by going to the Word File Open and going to the folder indicated in the path of the search results.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 3:21 PM in response to MSB1219

If you don't know where you saved your Word documents when you originally created them, one option is to open a Finder window, click the magnifying glass search icon at the top right of that window, type .doc or .docx and that should find the documents.

If the Finder "View" menu shows "Hide Path Bar" then click that so that it changes to "Show Path Bar." You can then click (highlight) items in the search result and look at the bottom of the Finder window to see the path to where they are stored. You can then open a document by double-clicking it in the search results or by going to the Word File Open and going to the folder indicated in the path of the search results.

Need assistance to retrieve documents previously created using Word. Just upgraded iMac OS to Catalina. Could not open old Word and upgraded to newer version. Now do not see prior Word docs when I go to File Open. How can I find them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.