Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Seagate Disk (1T) restarts my macbook everytime I try to use it

Hey guys,

I have a macbook pro, (early 2015, macOS Catalina version 10.15.7) that restarts everytime I try to use my external seagate 1 Terabyte disk.

Everytime I try to browse its content (for example, trying to copy its content to another external disk) after a few minutes, it restarts my computer...it goes totally black for a couple seconds to later display a message that says something like "your computer restarted due to a problem" (it does NOT disconnects due to going asleep, it literally crashes and restarts my laptop).

I feel the main issue is the disk as I already tried to use another macbook and did the same thing. any idea what could be going on or what could I do to rescue my data?

thanks in advance guys!

Marco

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2021 5:57 PM

If it does this with two different computers, it is clearly the external drive that is damaged. A good guess is that it is trying to draw too much power and this disrupts your Mac enough to cause it to shut down or restart. You could try using a powered hub to try to prevent it from doing this to your computers.

If it takes a few minutes before it glitches you could always try to copy a few files or folders at a time until it restarts, but this could take a very long time, depending how full the drive is. If you have backup (anything of value or importance should be backed up), I would discard the original external drive and revert to the backup.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2021 5:57 PM in response to MarcoRof13

If it does this with two different computers, it is clearly the external drive that is damaged. A good guess is that it is trying to draw too much power and this disrupts your Mac enough to cause it to shut down or restart. You could try using a powered hub to try to prevent it from doing this to your computers.

If it takes a few minutes before it glitches you could always try to copy a few files or folders at a time until it restarts, but this could take a very long time, depending how full the drive is. If you have backup (anything of value or importance should be backed up), I would discard the original external drive and revert to the backup.

External Seagate Disk (1T) restarts my macbook everytime I try to use it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.