Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos from iPhone 12 mini not showing in "Photos" on iMac (late 2009)

I have an old iMac (late 2009, Sierra 10.12.6, won't update to higher versions). Since I bought my new iPhone 12 mini, the Photos app is not recognizing the photos from iPhone anymore. The phone is showing up in Photos, but the app recognizes only photos from WhatsApp, screenshots etc., but not the actual photos I take every day. Seems to be a data format issue.

iCloud is enabled, all my photos from iPhone show on my iPad. I tried several things, e.g. the proposed solution by turingtest2 with using the MobileDeviceUpdater, but clicking this app on iMac does nothing (no reaction). Any ideas? Thanks a lot in advance.

iPhone 12 mini is also not recognized in Finder.

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 3:20 AM

Hi

First - if you are using iCloud to sync images, it is not a good idea to also use a USB connection to transfer - this is likely to result in duplicates.

I am guessing though that your specific problem is that your new phone is capturing HEIC formatted images which your older Sierra Mac cannot recognise. To solve this you need to change the setting in your camera phone app to capture in jpg format. (Settings>camera>formats>most compatible).

Obviously your other alternative is to get a more up to date mac that can read the HEIC images.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2021 3:20 AM in response to kilian210

Hi

First - if you are using iCloud to sync images, it is not a good idea to also use a USB connection to transfer - this is likely to result in duplicates.

I am guessing though that your specific problem is that your new phone is capturing HEIC formatted images which your older Sierra Mac cannot recognise. To solve this you need to change the setting in your camera phone app to capture in jpg format. (Settings>camera>formats>most compatible).

Obviously your other alternative is to get a more up to date mac that can read the HEIC images.

Photos from iPhone 12 mini not showing in "Photos" on iMac (late 2009)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.