Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail: G-Mail Spam no longer appearing

Up until a week ago, all of my G-Mail's junk mail would download and appear under the proper account under the "Junk" label. Now, that account shows the number of junk messages, but no message headers appear and the message window says "No Message Selected" -- naturally, as there are no messages to select.

In order to delete the spam, I need to open up the web based G-Mail app and delete the junk mail there.

Any ideas as to why the messages no longer make it to my Mac, where I can just delete them all at one time (rather than have to go directly to G-Mail to do it)?

IMAP appears to be on, and it seems to be this one G-Mail account that's suddenly having issues.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 2:10 PM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2021 2:10 PM in response to tandemtwins

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

Nov 29, 2021 12:12 PM in response to tandemtwins

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part of the above is between the quote marks...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

If pastebin is a problem for you then workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Nov 29, 2021 5:48 AM in response to BDAqua

Sadly, no... the next time I logged into check mail, the G-Mail account again showed how many messages were there, but didn't display the messages in the "Side Preview" column. I booted again in safe mode, the messages then appeared; I shut down and then rebooted normally and the messages were still visible. I deleted them. This morning it was back to not showing the messages (although next to the mailbox it says there are 45 messages).

This particular G-Mail account is one I don't use much, except as a backup mailbox in case I can't be reached through my primary account. It was a "learning experience" from many years ago, where I used first and middle initial and my last name. Every robot seems to find this combination, and everyone with the same initials and last name tries to get this account, probably has to attach a number to it, then forgets what their address is and uses mine to sign up for shady website deals... and I've been getting the spam ever since.

The regular e-mails download into the incoming box just fine, it's only the garbage (often 30 to 100 per day) that gets sent to the "Junk" box.

Mac Mail: G-Mail Spam no longer appearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.