Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email unread filter won’t turn off

How do I regain access to my full email again? I have several accounts behaving correctly, but my main personal account applies an unread filter no matter how often I deselect the filter. After reviewing some existing questions I tried removing the account and adding it back several times. It did not work! I selected account type other - and is setup as an IMAP MSN account. I also tried setting up as an Outlook account.

I am having the problem on my iPhone XR and my iPad Air.

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 8:43 AM

Hi Snow123Storm,

It sounds like your main email account always has the filter "unread." We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities. Let's see if this helps.

It seems like you've had the chance to review Flag and filter emails on iPhone, but let's double-check the specific steps in the section, "Filter emails." You might even want to try turning off all filters and see if that helps.

The next step would be to see if you have any rules enabled that might be applied at the account level. Check out Manage email messages by using rules to see what you might have enabled.

If the issue remains after following those steps, let us know what happened when you followed the advice above.

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 8:43 AM in response to Snow123Storm

Hi Snow123Storm,

It sounds like your main email account always has the filter "unread." We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities. Let's see if this helps.

It seems like you've had the chance to review Flag and filter emails on iPhone, but let's double-check the specific steps in the section, "Filter emails." You might even want to try turning off all filters and see if that helps.

The next step would be to see if you have any rules enabled that might be applied at the account level. Check out Manage email messages by using rules to see what you might have enabled.

If the issue remains after following those steps, let us know what happened when you followed the advice above.

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

Nov 28, 2021 9:01 AM in response to Alex_Han

I have managed to clear the filter, and can access newer read Messages. However, any message that had been read prior to when I had to delete and add my account back for the other community suggestion are still not accessible. I have not been able to check rules per your response from because I am only accessing on my phone and iPad. I have not accessed email on my computer in months, so I have not established any new rules recently. Did a recent iOS update affect settings?

Email unread filter won’t turn off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.