Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail Big Sur Doesn't Correctly Display What It Is Doing

Mail used to correctly say what it was doing. Now it says, for example, "Saving 1 of 52 Drafts", although there are no drafts. It will stick with this for hours or days, then display "Moving .... Messages". It's just semi-permanently frozen displaying things it's not actually doing :-)

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 5:47 AM

Feedback - Mail - Apple

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 27, 2021 7:49 PM in response to MooneyTed

MooneyTed wrote:

Mail used to correctly say what it was doing. Now it says, for example, "Saving 1 of 52 Drafts", although there are no drafts. It will stick with this for hours or days, then display "Moving .... Messages". It's just semi-permanently frozen displaying things it's not actually doing :-)

I have seen this on El Capitan, High Sierra, Mojave, and Catalina and probably others as well but those are the ones we are currently using on Macs dating from 2008-2019. I don't see your message about saving drafts or moving messages, but will sometimes see "Downloading 1 of 30 messages" but nothing is downloading, and this downloading message can stay there indefinitely. I have found that quitting and reopening Mail typically clears the message, or rebooting always does. It seems harmless. Someday I will try booting into Safe Mode as that clears some caches and this seems to be something that Apple Mail remembers doing sometime in the past, maybe from a cache. It might be worth a try, but I tend to the belief of not trying to "fix" things that aren't "broken" and this seems to be harmless, although sometimes annoying.

Mac Mail Big Sur Doesn't Correctly Display What It Is Doing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.