Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts deleting themselves every time I close the App

My list of contacts are currently stored on the iCloud and I want to get a copy saved on my MacBook Pro - Mojave 10.14.6.

I've exported a copy of the Contacts List from the Contacts App. File > Contacts > Export > Contacts Archive which is saved to the Desktop.

I then remove the Contacts tick in iCloud on my MacBook to stop the Mac syncing Contacts with the Mac which removes all of the contacts in the Contacts App.

Then I import the Contact List that I exported and saved to the desktop. File > Import

The Contacts App then shows all of the names of the contacts that were saved in my iCloud account as planned.

However the problem is as soon as I close the Contacts App and re-open it, all of the contacts are deleted. (the option to sync contacts on the Mac with the cloud is still un ticked)

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

(I have tried to keep a copy of the Contacts on my Mac by signing out of iCloud and ticking the box to keep a copy of the contacts on my Mac when I sign out. Despite ticking the option to keep a copy of my contacts on the Mac the contact list is still deleted and despite reaching for it I can't find a copy of it anywhere)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 9:08 AM

Shut off iCloud contacts, keep or dispose of existing contacts at the prompt, wait a couple of minutes for iCloud to realize it’s really off, reboot the Mac, re-enable iCloud contacts, wait a few for iCloud to realize sync is on and probably select merge, re-import the contacts data, and then see if the problem persists.

I’ve had iCloud get itself tangled on a few devices, and there’s unfortunately no reset button.

For the cases I’ve met, the combination of toggling iCloud around a restart of the problem iCloud client seem to have resolved the confusion.

Above assumes your network is entirely stable. iCloud really doesn’t like an unstable network connection, and gets very cranky.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 9:08 AM in response to Steve Burke

Shut off iCloud contacts, keep or dispose of existing contacts at the prompt, wait a couple of minutes for iCloud to realize it’s really off, reboot the Mac, re-enable iCloud contacts, wait a few for iCloud to realize sync is on and probably select merge, re-import the contacts data, and then see if the problem persists.

I’ve had iCloud get itself tangled on a few devices, and there’s unfortunately no reset button.

For the cases I’ve met, the combination of toggling iCloud around a restart of the problem iCloud client seem to have resolved the confusion.

Above assumes your network is entirely stable. iCloud really doesn’t like an unstable network connection, and gets very cranky.

Nov 27, 2021 10:10 AM in response to Steve Burke

Hello, Steve Burke.

Sorry that you're having this issue with your Mac.

If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and does other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

Contacts deleting themselves every time I close the App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.