Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovering old @icloud.com email address that is not my Apple ID

I have an @icloud.com email address and I don't know what the password is anymore. It is not my Apple ID so I can't sign in with it on icloud.com. How can I recover this email address?

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2021 8:01 AM

Is icloud@icloud.com as a rescue mail address and its password same as Apple ID password , or is it an additional mail address in the account section keep password different About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support

11 replies

Nov 27, 2021 8:02 PM in response to janeway1980

At present another Apple ID say example1@gmail.com is signed in Mac system preferences , you also created an Apple ID say example2@icloud.com from this Mac or another devices , now its a simple mail address .

( a ) if this was used from same Mac and iCloud Keychain was set up Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

Set up iCloud Keychain and iCloud Passwords on all your devices - Apple Support

The administrator can view the Apple ID passwordView the information stored in a keychain on Mac - Apple Support

The Apple ID password can also be found in How to find your saved passwords on your Mac – Apple Support

Read this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252117940

( b ) if this mail address was not signed in this Mac and was created in another Mac / iPhone and yet it is still signed in them and you don't remember the Apple ID password specifically used in iPhone reset the password If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

( c ) if its used in another Mac and 2FA account was set and a verified device was added , and the device is lost the account can be recovered How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Dec 1, 2021 7:19 PM in response to muguy

Nope, I just see my apple ID (which is my yahoo email address). I've tried entering the old icloud.com email address, but then it sure looks like it's going to reset my apple ID password, not the icloud.com password, so I stop.

I can read my icloud.com email on my iPhone. And when I look on my MacBook under System Preferences->Apple ID->Name,Phone,Email I see the icloud.com email address as one of the ways to reach me.

Dec 1, 2021 7:25 PM in response to tygb

The problem is that I got it a very long time ago, probably when I got my first iPod. I have not used it for anything except in the Email app. It is not in my keychain and the way the Email passwords are set up, I can't get to the password for this email address that way. I gave it the nickname "iCloud" and now that is used for the actual iCloud ID.

So none of those methods are helpful. It does not appear in any of the keychain password entries and it is not my iCloud ID. It was my ID many years ago, but that doesn't help now.

Dec 2, 2021 7:43 AM in response to tygb

I finally bit the bullet and tried the reset password route and it did indeed change my password for my Apple ID (the yahoo email) but also for the icloud email. Evidently they have the same password and are inextricably linked. This seems like a security problem, but at least I now have access to the icloud.com email.

To be clear, it wasn't that the email address was icloud@icloud.com, but in "Accounts" you can change the nickname of the email you're looking at and a long time ago I had set "iCloud" as the nickname for the @icloud.com email address. In the time since I did that, Apple started designating under "Accounts" a section called "iCloud" which goes to the Apple ID email (yahoo email address). So it disassociated the @icloud.com address from anything under "Accounts."

I don't know if it's possible, but I should probably delete the icloud.com address, since as I said, it seems a security problem that it has the same password as the Apple ID.

Recovering old @icloud.com email address that is not my Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.