Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2009 Mac Pro doesn't read internal hard drives (USB drives OK)

My 2009 Mac Pro stopped recognizing any of the internal hard drives. I've tried several hard drives, with different versions of OS X from that galaxy one to El Capitan, in each of the bays. The computer works fine from an external hard drive plugged into a USB port (but slow, USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps when the internals bays are 5 Gbps). Is there any way to fix this or do I buy a replacement machine on eBay for $200?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 1:24 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 27, 2021 4:17 PM in response to lllaass

Is it easy to get the power supply out of my machine and put it in your machine? I paid $256 on eBay for a 2010 Mac Pro but after I paid I got an automatic message that the seller is out of town for the next six days so shipping will be delayed! I'll ask if I can cancel the sale and get your machine. You can keep the RAM, hard drive, and graphics card.

Nov 27, 2021 4:20 PM in response to Thomas Kehoe

A drive that will not tell disk Utility is make & Model and a reasonable non-zero capacity/size, cannot be used in it current setup. if it is powered and cabled correctly, it has died.

If you need to acquire an external adapter to check drives, USB adapters with power supply are cheap, but a 'toaster' style is still very affordable, and is something you may continue to use on a daily bases.

2009 Mac Pro doesn't read internal hard drives (USB drives OK)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.